Thread: the Bridge of Horns

Council Member Beelzebubalicious's Avatar

Default the Bridge of Horns

Recently clued in to this interesting little project.

The Bridge of the Horns is a proposed construction project to build a bridge between the coasts of Djibouti and Yemen across the Bab-el-Mandeb, the strait between the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden. It will be constructed by Noor City Development Corporation, and the notice-to-proceed was issued by Middle East Development LLC, which is headed by Tarek bin Laden, a half brother of Osama bin Laden.
    Some pics here.

Would be interested to hear more about it.

to my admittedly limited knowledge, all major bridge projects were preceded by a viable ferry service.

This bridge project is intended to stimulate a demand that does not yet exist.

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

The project was announced back in the days (not so long ago) when companies out of Dubai were planning to build the biggest of everything. The project isn't only a bridge, two entire cities were going to be built, one at either end. How viable the project is in today's environment is, of course, anyone's guess; I haven't heard much about it lately... but with oil at $80 there is enough money to do it, and if they want to spend it there, why not? Lots of contracts, lots of jobs, wherever it all ends up.

I don't think the bin Laden connection means much; the family construction firm is both conservative and close to the Saudi royal family, and I doubt they've much to do with the prodigal one. UBL doesn't produce a whole lot of business for them.