SMALL WARS COUNCIL
Go Back   Small Wars Council > Conflicts -- Current & Future > Other, By Region > Africa

Old 12-07-2013   #361
AdamG
Council Member

Not sure if this link was already posted and buried (quick search fails me), but
ten minutes of Urban Three-Stoogery with AKs is worth the repost.

Bonus hilarity at the 5.20 mark: Private Einstein, part of a team sent to the building where snipers are suspected to be on the roof, empties a magazine down towards his comrades. Said team has no direct commo with it's command group). This video so needs to be set to music.

Quote:
Ground Zero - Mali was shot in Gao, Mali, on February 21, 2013. It's basically the first legitimate combat footage to come out of the war there. Normally the French ban journalists from the frontlines and film a sanitized version of the fighting themselves and then distribute it to the media.

In this case, the insurgents came to us: they slipped into Gao overnight on small boats and used suicide bombers to blast their way into government buildings. The French left the fighting to the Malian army for most of the day as a test of their combat abilities. Malian soldiers, while very brave, are almost completely untrained and had great difficulty fighting less than a dozen jihadists, some of whom were children. They fired wild bursts of automatic fire everywhere, destroying the city center. The Malians soon ran out of ammunition and had to wait for the French to show up and save the day.
http://www.vice.com/ground-zero/mali
Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

Last edited by AdamG; 12-07-2013 at 06:03 PM.
AdamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #362
JMA
Banned

As with the prey of South African snipers in the DRC recently pathetic excuses for soldiers such as these can be taken out systematically and can be held off indefinitely. Obviously these insurgents can't shoot either.

Moving down an open road is not bravery... is is idiocy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG View Post
Not sure if this link was already posted and buried (quick search fails me), but
ten minutes of Urban Three-Stoogery with AKs is worth the repost.

Bonus hilarity at the 5.20 mark: Private Einstein, part of a team sent to the building where snipers are suspected to be on the roof, empties a magazine down towards his comrades. Said team has no direct commo with it's command group). This video so needs to be set to music.

http://www.vice.com/ground-zero/mali

Last edited by JMA; 12-07-2013 at 08:13 PM.
JMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #363
davidbfpo
Council Member

Default Not winning "hearts & minds"

An AP report on the murder of Tuareg's who remained in the towns re-captured and handed over to the Malian military:http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268778/con...tguid=csYdabdI

Incidentally I noted with amazement that the Malian military, in the two film clips, relied upon mobile-phones for comms.
Old 04-17-2014   #364
Fuchs
Council Member

http://www.cdef.terre.defense.gouv.f...eration-serval
Fuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #365
davidbfpo
Council Member

Fuchs,

A good catch the official French post-action report, which does have an English summary.

I'd missed that what appear to be lorry-borne heavy artillery was deployed and the logistic aspect is covered.
Old 04-18-2014   #366
Fuchs
Council Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
Fuchs,

A good catch the official French post-action report, which does have an English summary.

I'd missed that what appear to be lorry-borne heavy artillery was deployed and the logistic aspect is covered.
I get their newsletter, automated my 'catching' here.

Language barriers are troublesome, so I make a conscious effort to penetrate them.
Fuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014   #367
Piranha
Council Member

Question Re: Newsletter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
I get their newsletter, automated my 'catching' here.

Language barriers are troublesome, so I make a conscious effort to penetrate them.
Could you provide us with a link for that?
I could be of help with the language.

Happy Easter to all, in whichever way you celebrate it.
Old 04-30-2014   #368
davidbfpo
Council Member

Default Is AQ’s regional affiliate in West Africa dead, at least for now?

A short NYT article, which appears to be based on unofficial statements from French & US officials and not that we have not heard this language before:
Quote:
So the group that terrorized half a country, northern Mali, in the heart of West Africa for much of 2012, taking over its major towns, and threatening other nations in the region, has been reduced to a pale remnant of its former self. It is no longer the pre-eminent threat to the fragile states in West Africa’s Sahel region — the band of desert and semi-desert running just below the Sahara.
Link:http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/30/wo...=tw-share&_r=1
Old 05-19-2014   #369
davidbfpo
Council Member

Default The Tuareg "have not gone away"

Via NYT:
Quote:
Separatist Tuareg rebels launched an assault on the city of Kidal in northern Mali over the weekend, killing eight soldiers, storming government buildings and taking 30 hostages in a “declaration of war” on the government, officials said Sunday.The attack was apparently prompted by a visit to Kidal on Saturday by the newly appointed prime minister, Moussa Mara, highlighting regional hostility toward the central government in Bamako and casting further doubt on the viability of reconciliation efforts in the wake of the turmoil experienced by the country since 2012.
Link:http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/19/wo...hostages.html?

Noteworthy as IMHO the seperatist Tuareg have been quiet since the French-supported intervention. Almost a return to "normal" in Mali.
Old 07-14-2014   #370
davidbfpo
Council Member

Default Traffic control in The Sahel

An odd headline IMHO:
Quote:
France ends Mali offensive, redeploys troops to restive Sahel
Followed within by (slightly edited):
Quote:
The new "counter-terrorism" operation, codenamed Barkhan, will kick off in the coming days and is being implemented in partnership with five countries -- Mauritania, Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger and Chad -- Le Drian said.

He added that some 3,000 French soldiers would be part of the operation, 1,000 of whom would stay in northern Mali and the rest would be deployed in the other countries....which will have its headquarters in the Chadian capital N'Djamena

Link:http://news.yahoo.com/france-ends-ma...83027863.html?