Thread: Infantry survivability - at the crossroads?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    A secondary point is that going to ground under indirect fire is a no-no (or should be), one has to move out of it and rapidly.

That was probably mildly valid at earlier times, but I think it's plain wrong against a 1st rate opponent. The difference lies in how the indirect fire engagement looks like - we seem to assume completely different ones.

My assumption:
    An observer calls for MRSI strike on time by multiple barrels (like 3 rds each from 4 mortars). No ranging shots - fire for effect right at the beginning.
    The fire is accurate, dispersion is normal.
    The observer will see a lot of smoke/dust after the strike and not call in another strike for a while unless he can observe worthy targets.
    He might actually be deceived by "playing dead" as well.
    The indirect fire assets he had called for relocate to avoid counterfire asap. A continuation of fire would require other assets to join and would not be justified if there's no positive target confirmation.

In short: To run wouldn't help, to hit the ground till it's over would help. And anti-frag clothes would help.

It's completely different if the observer needs to correct the first impacts and only then calls for fire for effect - then you could run.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    In short: To run wouldn't help, to hit the ground till it's over would help. And anti-frag clothes would help.
    Until they come up with a uniform that protects against frag without being any heavier or less breathable than current utility uniforms (MCCUU, ACU), anti-frag clothes are impractical - especially for light infantry. I've seen some pictures of kevlar "chaps" and such - no way in hell I would wear those on a dismounted movement.

Default We can differ on that...

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    That was probably mildly valid at earlier times, but I think it's plain wrong against a 1st rate opponent. The difference lies in how the indirect fire engagement looks like - we seem to assume completely different ones.
    Still valid. The issue is being under indirect fire, who got it there or how they did it is irrelevant; you're under it. The quality of the opponent (your criteria) is immaterial -- indirect fire that goes 'boom' and is falling around you is totally independent of the quality of the cannoneer or mortarman who fired it or of the quality of the tube or launcher -- and the rounds themselves, as long as they explode, are not quality dependent. Having had a great deal of it poured my way over a fair number of years by 1st to 4th rate opponents and found it all to be equally hazardous regardless of the rating of the shooters, having lain under it and /or moved through it depending on the situation, I am not assuming anything.
    My assumption:
    Your assumption is possible but to run will help. Try it instead of reading about it. I'd also submit your assumption calls for the receiving troops to have exposed themselves and while tactical idiots and bad luck exist, they can be negated. As I said; ""Tactical surprise is obtained by doing the smart thing, not by being caught out on a dumb route.""
    That's what we can disagree on...