Thread: Is It Time to Get Out of Afghanistan?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default More blogging on this subj:

It’s time to leave Afghanistan
    http://jbsanctuary.wordpress.com/201...e-afghanistan/

Time to leave Afghanistan?
    http://www.blackfive.net/main/2011/0....html#comments

Should we give up on Afghanistan?
    http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=22807

The comments on these blogs are an indicator that some of the most sympathetic and supportive members of the domestic target audience are disgusted and demoralized. Whoever does the SITREP Live from Afghanistan for the MILBLOG Conference will need to slip down to Dubai and spend a night in a Holiday Inn Express or La Quinta before they strategically communicate to that crowd.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cannoneer No. 4 View Post
    The comments on these blogs are an indicator that some of the most sympathetic and supportive members of the domestic target audience are disgusted and demoralized.
    1. They don't get to be demoralized, and someone should tell them as much. This isn't baseball and we're not talking about a pennant you can take another whack at next year.

2. JB contemplating the US quitting the field hinges on two very dubious notions: "that we've killed most of Al-Qaida," and that "[s]mall amounts of Special Operations Forces could have been left in strategic locations to periodically take out AQ as they popped up." I say dubious because there is no firm estimate of AQ's base strength, let alone that of its affiliates and all other individuals and groups willing to act independently in the same vein. Additionally, it seems ludicrous to suggest that special forces can range across a country the size of Texas and do a job that the entire Coalition commitment can't achieve in a territory half the size of New York.

It's one thing to be dissatisfied with the way things are going (though it helps if you at least show up with a better plan in hand). It's another thing to demand the Allies pack it up when an enemy bound and determined to get back on the offensive is still out there.
    PH Cannady
    Correlate Systems

Quote Originally Posted by Presley Cannady View Post
    1. They don't get to be demoralized, and someone should tell them as much. This isn't baseball and we're not talking about a pennant you can take another whack at next year.
    WHY don't they get to be demoralized?

Who do you think the "someone" is that should tell them they don't get to be demoralized? Not the same people who were supposed to be in charge of morale on the home front, I hope.

Think they'll meet with much success persuading-changing-influencing sceptics with your approach?

2. JB contemplating the US quitting the field hinges on two very dubious notions: "that we've killed most of Al-Qaida," and that "[s]mall amounts of Special Operations Forces could have been left in strategic locations to periodically take out AQ as they popped up."
    Go to Jb's blog and tell him how dubious he is.

Council Member

WHY don't they get to be demoralized?
    Because they have an audience speak with no small amount of authority.

Who do you think the "someone" is that should tell them they don't get to be demoralized? Not the same people who were supposed to be in charge of morale on the home front, I hope.
    So whenever somebody fails to do their job, feel free to use your megaphone to wonder aloud if America should call it quits?

Think they'll meet with much success persuading-changing-influencing sceptics with your approach?
    I think that conceding the debate to the other side is a very...um...novel way of persuading them to your point of view.

Go to Jb's blog and tell him how dubious he is.
    Come on. You know I said no such thing.
    PH Cannady
    Correlate Systems

"Because they have an audience speak with no small amount of authority" is not a reason why commenters on blogs don't get to be demoralized that makes any sense.

I say again, who do you think the "someone" is that should tell them they don't get to be demoralized? Looking for names or titles here, not another question. Admitting that you do not know is an acceptable response.

JB contemplating the US quitting the field hinges on two very dubious notions

Council Member

"Because they have an audience speak with no small amount of authority" is not a reason why commenters on blogs don't get to be demoralized that makes any sense.
    I think the confusion here lies in that you were talking about the comments and I was talking about the bloggers themselves.

I say again, who do you think the "someone" is that should tell them they don't get to be demoralized?
    That's easy. Other milbloggers. Particularly ones who'd quickly pounce on echoes of Biden-lite in JB's post.
    Last edited by Presley Cannady; 04-05-2011 at 01:56 AM.
    PH Cannady
    Correlate Systems