It seems to me that the most important aspect of “assault weapons” (now there’s an emotionally laden term just begging for reactions) is often ignored. The haters usually hinge their rationale around the imagined physical effect of semi automatics with massacre magazines. The Newtown fuknuckle fired up to 11 rounds into each child. I submit he could have done at least the same amount of damage with just a .22 bolt action with enough 10 shot mags, with one aimed shot per target.

Same applies to the Norway fuknuckle. He already had a licence and a .308 bolt action. He went out of his way to get his grubby little hands on a semi. Given that his targets were sitting ducks on an island and he had all the time in the world, the semi would have given him no advantages to speak of.

The theatre shooting would be an exception.

The question is: why do they feel the need to use an evil gun? Is it because they too (often erroneously) perceive it to be of better effect? Or do the looks and stigma of these guns trigger something in their sick minds? I should think that the latter provides the gun haters with a much stronger argument. The question ‘would the Newtown shooter have done as much damage with a .22 bolt action?’ is the wrong one to ask IMO. The question is: would he have done it in the first place if he would only have had access to a bolt action? Consider also that they like to dress up like Ninjas.

I say this against my own agenda, because I too like me some AR15. In the same way that a car enthusiast might prefer a Ferrari over a Toyota Corolla.

On a side note, I almost feel sorry for Bushhamster; it always seems to be one of theirs… and the media know it!