SMALL WARS COUNCIL
Go Back   Small Wars Council > Small Wars Participants & Stakeholders > Military - Other

Military - Other Echelons away from the trigger pullers, from operational art and theater logistics to service combat development to just plain FOBbits.

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2009   #1
davidbfpo
Council Member

Default Gunmen attack Fort Hood, Texas

Just appeared on the UK news:
Quote:
Under the sub-headline 'Gunmen have killed seven people and wounded 12 others in a rampage...' One gunman was in custody, but another remained on the loose on the sprawling base in Kileen, Texas, about 60 miles north-east of Austin. The base was on lockdown after it emerged that a second shooter was believed to be armed with a high-powered sniper rifle, according to a report on MSNBC television. Two nearby school districts were also reportedly on lockdown. John Carter, a local congressman, confirmed on MSNBC there had been a shooting at the base, saying the gunfire had erupted during a graduation ceremony.
From:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...a-reports.html

BBC has a slightly different report:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8345713.stm
Old 11-05-2009   #2
jmm99
Council Member

Default Live coverage

from KCEN-TV via MSNBC, is ongoing.
Old 11-05-2009   #3
reed11b
Council Member

I am not sure why, but part of me really hopes these guys were not soldiers.
Old 11-05-2009   #4
Entropy
Council Member

Just heard the gunmen were soldiers on CNN from a Ft. Hood spokesman.
Old 11-05-2009   #5
SWJED
Small Wars Journal

One of the suspected gunmen (if there was more than one - two other soldiers are in custody as "suspects") is identified by ABC News as Major Malik Nadal Hasan.

Last edited by SWJED; 11-05-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-05-2009   #6
IntelTrooper
Council Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Just heard the gunmen were soldiers on CNN from a Ft. Hood spokesman.
@#$%*

"With a plan this complex, nothing can go wrong." -- Schmedlap

"We are unlikely to usefully replicate the insights those unencumbered by a military staff college education might actually have." -- William F. Owen
Old 11-05-2009   #7
stanleywinthrop
Council Member

CNN is now saying that the shooter was Maj. Maliq Nadal Hassan. Spelling is just a guess.
Old 11-05-2009   #8
MikeF
Council Member

At least 12 dead and 31 wounded

One of my former medics emailed me and asked,

Quote:
"How can you shoot your fellow brothers.......... I am lost for words sir."
I replied,

Quote:
"I don't know brother. As I studied the female suicide bombers from Diyala, the emotions of hate, anger, and revenge overtook rational thought, and they just wanted to kill themselves and take as many with them as they could. All we can do right now is take a knee and pray."
That's about all we can do at this point until it's all sorted out.
Old 11-05-2009   #9
slapout9
Council Member

NBC evening news just reported he was not only a an officer but he was a Doctor
Old 11-05-2009   #10
MikeF
Council Member

He was a psychiatrist.

From one of my FSOs,

Quote:
He is an army psychiatrist. my wife worked for him on the mental health floor at darnell medical center on post.

Last edited by MikeF; 11-05-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-06-2009   #11
slapout9
Council Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
He was a psychiatrist.

From one of my FSOs,
NBC also said he specialized in Combat Stress Disorders?
Old 11-06-2009   #12
MikeF
Council Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
NBC also said he specialized in Combat Stress Disorders?
Along with cops and soldiers, the burn out rates for pscyhs dealing with trauma is an astronomical rate. I'll just say this for now until we have time to let it all pass and grieve this tragedy. He probably hit a break point after listening to too many stories. LTG Bob Cone is right. This is an "isolated incident." I won't be suprised if they discover that doc did what he did at the SRC to "save" others from the anguish that he listened to so many others go through.

Either that or ideological reasons that had nothing to do with his job.

I'll be quiet now. That's my .02

Last edited by MikeF; 11-06-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-06-2009   #13
omarali50
Council Member

This is shocking on so many levels. First of all just the horror of losing so many good men on a base in their home country. Then the shooter being an officer (OK, not from the fighting arms, but still wearing a uniform). a doctor for god's sake!
And I am sure just the names Fort Hood and Texas have some resonances of their own for a lot of people..
It looks right now like there was just one shooter, and he had some issue with being posted to iraq. I am sure that explains nothing, but that would point to "lone nut goes berserk". On the other hand, if it turns out to have any connection to spontaneous Jihad syndrome or even worse, if it was a planned act by more than one person then we will surely be talking about many other things.
Just shocking.
Old 11-06-2009   #14
slapout9
Council Member

Speculation on the motive. Way to early to tell for sure but 3 persons were involved, 2 are in custody, that certainly has the makings of something else besides a rampage killing.
link to analysis by TV commentator.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036697/...91565#33691565
Old 11-06-2009   #15
Uboat509
Council Member

Quote:
Speculation on the motive. Way to early to tell for sure but 3 persons were involved, 2 are in custody, that certainly has the makings of something else besides a rampage killing.

Exactly what I was going to say.

SFC W
Old 11-06-2009   #16
Schmedlap
Council Member

Special Twitter feed for this specific incident: http://twitter.com/fthoodshootings
Old 11-06-2009   #17
omarali50
Council Member

I just heard the two other people have been released. It seems to me that any such event is followed by hours of confusion. I am guessing (hoping?) single gunman.
If 1 or 2 others are involved then its no longer a nutcase on the rampage, its a planned act of terror and in that case my guess would naturally be that they suddenly decided to give their lives for Islam or some such craziness. As a muslim, I hope that is not the case...
Old 11-06-2009   #18
slapout9
Council Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarali50 View Post
I just heard the two other people have been released. It seems to me that any such event is followed by hours of confusion. I am guessing (hoping?) single gunman.
If 1 or 2 others are involved then its no longer a nutcase on the rampage, its a planned act of terror and in that case my guess would naturally be that they suddenly decided to give their lives for Islam or some such craziness. As a muslim, I hope that is not the case...
It's still way to early to tell. I have seen primary witnesses detained (held in custody) for their own protection and yet when it is reported in the media they are called "suspects" for some reason, when that may not be the case at all. Time will tell.
Old 11-06-2009   #19
MikeF
Council Member

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/nadal-mailk...ory?id=9010466

Quote:
Maj. Nadal Malik Hasan, the suspected shooter in the massacre at Fort Hood, was a psychiatrist at Darnall Army Medical Center on the base, according to records uncovered by ABC News.

Hasan, 39, received his training through the Defense Department's F. Edward Hebert School of Medicine in Bethesda, Md., according to the records.

A military source was quoted by the Air Force Times as saying Hasan had recently been reassigned to Fort Hood from Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington. In 2009, sources tell ABC News, he completed a fellowship in Disaster and Preventative Psychiatry at the Center for Traumatic Stress there
Old 11-06-2009   #20
slapout9
Council Member

Quote:

Further details. The 2 "suspects" have been released. The Major was apparently against the Wars in Iraq and A'stan and wanted out of the Army. He was also taunted by family and friends when he wanted to join the Army after 911.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...est=latestnews
Closed Thread