Hi Wilf,

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
Has anyone done any work on why people became communists, nazis or fascists?
Tons of work done after WW II, especially on the ability to compartmentalize (this is just an example).

Anyone inquired as to why some Native Americans got "radicalised" and rejected the authority imposed upon them?
Funny you should mention that - I'm talking with a colleague of mine about looking at that in the Canadian situation. And, yes, a lot has been written on that particular topic. The same can also be asked about why the Irish "got radicalized and rejected the authority imposed upon them" .

My point is, if what is radicalising them is "the political reality" then the only real issue is do they express their politics using violence. - if they do that, then kill or incarcerate them, in line with what the law allows.
[tongue in cheek]

Well, I certainly would agree with the first part of that. As to the second, I'm sure some of our colleagues who are descended from the violent, godless, anarchist insurgents under MAJ Washington, might, possibly, disagree.

[/tongue in cheek]

Nothing you can or or say, will stop some kid becoming a suicide bomber - and if you can, then he's not one of the ones to worry about.
Maybe nothing you can say or do can stop him or her from becoming one, but it can certainly start them becoming one .