Thread: Anatomy of Terrorism

Default Anatomy of Terrorism

Hello all-

The conversation about the beheading OK got me interested in breaking out the data of terrorist attacks in the U.S. and elsewhere. All data from Global Terrorism Database. Specifically, I'm interested in how targeting, method, and lethality different in selected states. Below is the U.S. In the near future, I'll put up Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Yemen, and Somalia.

Attacks in the U.S. 2006 - 2013

Deaths by Terrorism in the U.S. 2006 - 2013

Attacks by Type in the U.S. 2006 - 2013

Attacks by Target in the U.S. 2006 - 2013

'Other' means ultities, businesses educational institutions, etc.

Just a note, although not graphically depicted, even though explosive attacks are the most prolific, attacks by firearms are the most deadly (at least in the U.S.). There's also a question of definitions. Workplace violence is not included in the dataset but with the recent event in OK (as well as with the Fort Hood Shooting) there is question about some overlap between terrorism and workplace violence.
    Last edited by AmericanPride; 10-03-2014 at 07:57 PM.
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
    Just a note, although not graphically depicted, even though explosive attacks are the most prolific, attacks by firearms are the most deadly (at least in the U.S.). There's also a question of definitions. Workplace violence is not included in the dataset but with the recent event in OK (as well as with the Fort Hood Shooting) there is question about some overlap between terrorism and workplace violence.
    And I suspect there always will be some overlap. The methods appear to be the same as gang/mafia style attacks or some type of disturbed psych killer. Somebody or some group that is trying to make a point.

IMO:
    The OK beheading was done by a very disturbed man who just happen to have converted to Islam. The Ft. Hood shooting not so sure, even though I orgianlly thought it was workplace violence, but not so sure anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    And I suspect there always will be some overlap. The methods appear to be the same as gang/mafia style attacks or some type of disturbed psych killer. Somebody or some group that is trying to make a point.

IMO:
    The OK beheading was done by a very disturbed man who just happen to have converted to Islam. The Ft. Hood shooting not so sure, even though I orgianlly thought it was workplace violence, but not so sure anymore.
    I can't post the graphics now, but what's also interesting from the U.S. data is that for the time period, the attack success rate averages at 77.94% but that the average lethality rate is 16.59%. 70.59% of the lethal attacks were committed with firearms. Historically, and generally speaking, bombings are the most common form of terrorism, and whole this is true in the U.S., they are not the most lethal.
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot