Rex, thanks for the post !

Recently, they initiated what they call “night flashes,” in which three truckloads of peacekeepers drive into the bush and keep their headlights on all night as a signal to both civilians and armed groups that the peacekeepers are there. Sometimes, when morning comes, 3,000 villagers are curled up on the ground around them.
I recall other NGOs doing this even as early as 1991 following civil war and unrest. As I recall, it worked just long enough for the (then) Zairois to 'catch up with the program', and the UN workers became the meal of the day.

I previously posted my thoughts on this apalling lack of humanity in Congo and Rwanda, and felt we should also keep in mind that members of the UN's peacekeeping forces have been equally stellar in teaching the Congolese and other Africans morals.

10 FEB 05: U.N. Sex Crimes in Congo Prostitution, Rapes Run Rampant

Widespread allegations of sexual exploitation and abuse of Congolese women, boys and girls have been made against U.N. personnel who were sent to help and protect them -- despite a so-called zero tolerance policy touted by the United Nations toward such behavior.

The range of sexual abuse includes reported rapes of young Congolese girls by U.N. troops; an Internet pedophile ring run from Congo by Didier Bourguet, a senior U.N. official from France; a colonel from South Africa accused of molesting his teenage male translators; and estimates of hundreds of underage girls having babies fathered by U.N. soldiers who have been able to simply leave their children and their crimes behind.
21 JUL 07:
UN probes alleged sex crimes by Moroccan peacekeepers in Ivory Coast

A United Nations delegation was en route to Ivory Coast Tuesday to probe allegations that Moroccan peacekeepers have sexually exploited girls under the age of 18, an organization official said.

A 730-member battalion of Moroccan troops has been confined to barracks in the northern Ivory Coast city of Bouake for more than a week after a preliminary UN investigation "revealed serious allegations of widespread sexual exploitation and abuse," according to a UN statement last week.
Seems we have a long road ahead of us and perhaps AFRICOM will be better able to address this and fund a solution.