Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Creation of Mechanized SOC Units

Quote Originally Posted by Ratzel View Post
    I think we can all agree that the military is going to be very busy for next 20-30 years? I foresee situations that will call for variety of mixed units. If Rangers are the best of the best for light infantry, then why not have the same for a mechanized unit? There may be times when fast-roping into a town and bringing in the little birds will be too dangerous. Instead, what may be needed is a unit to drive into the town that has tanks, 120MM mortars, and maybe even some light artillery?
    As I stated before, there is no need to create a SOF armor unit. On those occasions when something heavier than upamored HMMWVs or MRAPs is needed then we can get those assets from big Army. The Rangers were not formed simply to be a better light infantry unit. They perform a series of missions that the regular infantry is not trained or equiped to perform. I cannot think of what specialized mission a SOF armor unit would perform that a regular armor unit could not.

SFC W

Thank you for stating this. I didn't intend to start discussing unit finance or budgets. Lets just assume that no ones budget will be touched. The idea isn't to re-flag the Ranger units or to force a Special Forces A-Team "behind walls." The idea is to form a new unit, that is Mechanized, which has the same standard of fitness, leadership, discipline, and training as a Ranger Battalion. No one who is currently in a Ranger or SF unit would be forced into it. All were doing here is having a brainstorming session.

I've been thinking about this since I was in the Army. I often thought about what a mech unit would look like made from the guys who always had high PT scores, got the school slots, never got in trouble, were always motivated for the field, never dropped out of ruck-marches, and who were highly disciplined? This unit would be just another tool for the military to use. A mech unit that could go further, and fight harder than a regular mech unit.
    Based on the quote from Ratzel, I think SOF/SOC is the wrong term to be using to describe this hypothetical unit. A better term is "elite."

All SOF (the Ranger Regiment, Army Special Forces, and their equivalents from other branches of service) are normally considered to be "elite." On the flipside, all "elite" units need not be SOF and "elite" forces can, and do, exist in "big Army."

SOF means that the units are designed, capable, and expected to undertake missions defined as "Special Operations." This hypothetical mechanized element would not be conducting any "Special Operations." Rather, it would merely be a rapidly deployable conventional heavy element with a high quality personnel at all levels, a high state of readiness, and no constraints when it comes to equipment and training resources.

The high PT scores, rucking ability, good behavior, and other positive traits being sought can be, and are, acheived by having good leaders at all levels willing to devote the time and energy to train and mentor every Soldier under their leadership to exceed the standard in physical fitness, professionalism, maturity, and all other areas.
    "In times of change learners inherit the earth; while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer

Big Army does not like the elite concept for the simple reason that if you take all the high quality personnel and put them into one elite unit, what does that leave for the rest of the units? As it is big Army only tolerates "elite units" because they perform different mission sets from big Army. Even still, big Army has taken is toll on elite forces where it could. The Rangers in particular have had to contend with this. Ten years ago, if you did not start in Batt as a private then you simply did not go to Batt. Some time in the recent past someone decided that there was too much talent and experience concentrated in the Batts and so began rotating the NCOs out out of the Batts and rotating NCOs in who had not come up in the Batts. The idea was to "share the wealth" so to speak but the concept is flawed. There are simply not enough NCOs in Batt to make a significant impact on the rest of the Army but the influx of new NCOs, who did not grow up in Batt has watered down the quality of the Batts. I have heard many an old Batt boy bemoan this fact.

SFC W

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uboat509 View Post
    There are simply not enough NCOs in Batt to make a significant impact on the rest of the Army but the influx of new NCOs, who did not grow up in Batt has watered down the quality of the Batts. I have heard many an old Batt boy bemoan this fact.
    I don't doubt there's truth in that but I have to wonder if at least part of it is sour grapes; since, there will always be some "bemoaning" if anyone perceives that someone else hasn't paid their dues. But for people "born and raised" in the 75th dues paying often simply means that you experienced the "Spec. 4 Mafia" hazing culture as a private.

When the battalions were formed in 1974 nobody had grown up in them. I know some people who served in SF or Ranger/LRRP companies were active in the formation of the battalions but I don't think that was excusively the case. Am I wrong about that?

I've never spent "day one" in a Ranger Battalion nor have I been to RIP, but two of the most impressive NCOs I encountred in the Army "grew up" in the battalions. One was a 2nd Battalion Ranger from the mid '70s and the other was a 1st Battalion Ranger from the early '80s. Then again, two of the biggest screw ups that it was my displeasure to serve with had been 1st Battalion Rangers "born and raised" in the battalion.
    "Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper

Council Member

Default Kind/Quality

I think the resistance to this idea comes from the fact that Special Operations units are different in kind from regular units and not just in quality.

A regular army sergeant who is the strongest man in the world, a crackshot and can run laps around marathon winners might not make it as a Ranger because he lacks the mindset and discipline to operate behind enemy lines. Whereas a Ranger isn't necessarily any better of a fighter than the regular army guys in a stand up fight just because he can parachute and so forth.

An elite mechanized unit, one better only in quality, is a non-starter due to army (probably American military) culture.

A mechanized unit designed to support the unique missions of SOC is viable (because it's been done before).

Raids and surprise attacks well behind enemy lines have been done with armor in the past. Such a capability would probably be useful for current Ranger formations. Might also be useful for certain other units as well. This unit would have to be different in kind from a regular army unit because it would operate by stealth and far from logistical support.

Quote Originally Posted by Uboat509 View Post
    Big Army does not like the elite concept for the simple reason that if you take all the high quality personnel and put them into one elite unit, what does that leave for the rest of the units?

There are simply not enough NCOs in Batt to make a significant impact on the rest of the Army but the influx of new NCOs, who did not grow up in Batt has watered down the quality of the Batts. I have heard many an old Batt boy bemoan this fact.

SFC W
    Big Army often doesn't like things that are different and that do not fit the mold. Unfortunately it takes some time for things to change.

With regard to quality NCO's I can't speak for the Ranger Battalions but I do know that in general Ranger and SF NCO's are a good thing. I spent a few years in Vicenza, some Guard time, some USAR time, and some time with the 101st. In each of these organizations a group of solid NCO's are largely responsible for the successes of the organization. More times than not they are tabbed, have 'grown up' in a more rigorous culture, and have alot of real world experience. As a result they are able to influence and train up some 'mini-me's' which are vital to improving things. Weak NCO's lead to weak organizations.

To paraphrase a 'SOF truth' quality is better than quantity and it cannot be mass produced in response to an emergency. Our current efforts at recruiting and retention fail to account for this truth, instead we are rapidly moving towards future personnel problems:

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/fea....tilghman.html

http://www.goarmy.com/benefits/money_bonuses.jsp

Steve

Council Member

Default Separate Concern

Does anyone here think that providing an armored capability to current units would result in their being used as elite infantry?

This happened to US Ranger forces during WWII as I recall. The battalions acquired heavier weapons that made it harder to raid behind the lines and more likely that they'd be used in conventional combat. The high casualties of conventional combat thinned the ranks of skilled Rangers making it less likely that they could succeed in their original mission. This vicious cycle was compounded by the fact that the Ranger battalions had no regular source of trained replacements.

I could see a decision to send an armor augmented Ranger unit to storm Fallujah, for example. Whereas with their current equipment using Rangers in that environment was simply not an option.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonSlack View Post
    Based on the quote from Ratzel, I think SOF/SOC is the wrong term to be using to describe this hypothetical unit. A better term is "elite."
    Was thinking the exact same thing, and the Army's hostility to elite units makes basic sense to me. Aren't the Marines much the same way, viewing Force Recon with suspicion? Cultivating esprit de corps, along the lines of the British regimental system (which has its faults) seems like a better solution to me.

As for the SS, I'm not an expert on WWII German forces, but weren't their roles basically the same as those of the Wehrmacht? You can get divisions of elite, indoctrinated troops when you have conscription and a decade of fascist rule...

Default Why not use a Combat Group

I read a book called Breaking the Phalanx and its update Transformation Under Fire, both by a retired colonel named Douglas Macgregor.

In his book we should concentrate on Combat Groups instead of the division as the all arms formation. The Combat Group according to him is smaller than a division but larger than a brigade. The current modularity going on in the Army right now is kinda based on it but rather a bastardization of the original concept. His approach to TANK/MECH is this.

1 Recon Battalion (Ground and Air (UAV) recon)
    3 Combined Arms Heavy Battalions each with
    --- 2 Tank Companies
    --- 2 Mech Companies
    --- 1 Engineer Company
    --- 1 HHC
    1 Strike Battalion (Artillery and UAVs with missiles)
    1 Support Battalion (with improved support capability)
    1 C4I Battalion (HQ, Staff, and other support like MP, ADA, etc.)

Total troops is about 5,000 to 5,500 and under the command of a Brigadier General.

As I mentioned before these are not part of a division but rather semi-independent. This semi-independent nature can be used to build a Task Force enabling a wider span of control.

This systems has it all, in my opinion. What do you think?
    Last edited by ROKMAN; 12-24-2007 at 07:34 PM. Reason: minor spacing

The SS were not necessarily more elite than the regular Wehrmact troops but they were more fanatical and loyal to the party and therefore got the best equipment first. This has, in fact, been an accusation that has been leveled against the SOF community by some in big Army.

SFC W

There was a genearl back in the 1980's I can't remember exactly what or when or any of that, but I internalized the message. It was something like, "Double the pay, triple the requirements, and I'll give you an army four times more capable", later it was added "and recruits will bust down the door", but I don't believe that was in the original article.

The theme of course was that elitism in the military is counterproductive, and that an elite military is highly productive. What could you do with 350K soldiers trained like every special operator?
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Was thinking the exact same thing, and the Army's hostility to elite units makes basic sense to me. Aren't the Marines much the same way, viewing Force Recon with suspicion? Cultivating esprit de corps, along the lines of the British regimental system (which has its faults) seems like a better solution to me.
    I would say it is less a matter of suspicion and more one of, "Yeah, there go those primadonnas again." Still, I believe there is a fair amount of awe within the junior ranks of the infantry when the term Recon comes up. It all starts with the paperbacks in the Vietnam section of the Military History shelves.

I still remember my grandfather talking about his worst battle in WW2 was with a SS unit and he couldn't believe how fanatical they were even as borderline kids. He kept saying how many of them looked like they were 14.

They were fanatical fighters no doubt but there is a lot of controversy concerning how effective they were based on their priority of supply and equipment. Many Wermacht officers have been critical about their preventable losses the units frequently sustained and that was even before the absolute buzz saw of the Eastern Front. The SS were soldiers of the state and very highly indoctrinated. While the myth still persists that the Waffen SS were totally seperate from the Allgemeine SS, the Phd dissertation that was later put into a book called, Soldiers of Destruction goes to great lengths to prove how great their interactions. They did produce some amazing soldiers such as Michael Wittman but not sure how spectacular they were as an overall organization on the battlefield. There was a series of books concerning the various SS Corps that starts with a book called, The Devil's Adjutant concerning Jochen Peiper and the LAH during the Battle of the Bulge that does shed much light.
    Last edited by bismark17; 12-25-2007 at 08:32 PM. Reason: my spelling...ahhhh

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Default Re-acquire

Gentleman,

With respect, I suspect we are getting a tad confused on this issue.

I think what the thread was suggesting, was that in the same way that SOCOM has Dedicated Helicopter and Boat units to facilitate air and sea/river support, that the same think is being suggested for protected mobility.

I would suggest that such a unit be Joint, and have armoured vehicles that can be air-dropped, and/or under-slung from CH-47. Unit personnel should be capable of rigging the vehicles for helicopter ops, as well as knowing all the tips and trick associated with long range vehicles operations. What ever levels of qualification exist for air and boat units should be adapted and made relevant to an armoured unit.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    Gentleman,I would suggest that such a unit be Joint, and have armoured vehicles that can be air-dropped, and/or under-slung from CH-47. Unit personnel should be capable of rigging the vehicles for helicopter ops, as well as knowing all the tips and trick associated with long range vehicles operations. What ever levels of qualification exist for air and boat units should be adapted and made relevant to an armoured unit.
    We have this already. The vehicles we have now are airtransportable in a c130 and can be slung under an MH 47. We don't really do airdrops anymore but I suppose we could if we needed to.

SFC W

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    I think what the thread was suggesting, was that in the same way that SOCOM has Dedicated Helicopter and Boat units to facilitate air and sea/river support, that the same think is being suggested for protected mobility.

No, I was actually talking about a whole Ranger like Mechanized Unit. What you're talking is sort of like the SAS has, where each team is trained for a speacial task (e.i. Small boats, Mountains, etc). I'm talking about having tanks and artillery pieces here. I would never want to see a Special Forces person being forced to drive a tank. This unit would be nothing more than an elite mechanized regiment. It would be used when SF or Delta (I don't know what they call themselves these days?) needed a highly trained armour unit to support them. Sort of like how Rangers pull security for Operators to come in and take down a target building, this would be the same thing.

I do thank all of you for giving your input. This idea would be hated by the whole Army if it ever became reality. The SOF people would fear a change in SF culture and the regular Army would fear loosing its best people.

We can also think about how this would relate to Tom Barnett's ideas. The Leviathan force would be smaller and better trained than today's force. Tomorrow's Leviathan force may be half the size of today's Army. To make up the loss in numbers, we'd want an extremely well trained and finely selected force. What do you folks think?

The SOF people would fear a change in SF culture an
    What are you basing that statement on?

SFC W

...I'm talking about having tanks and artillery pieces here. I would never want to see a Special Forces person being forced to drive a tank. This unit would be nothing more than an elite mechanized regiment. It would be used when SF or Delta (I don't know what they call themselves these days?) needed a highly trained armour unit to support them. Sort of like how Rangers pull security for Operators to come in and take down a target building, this would be the same thing...
    In my opinion, you are proposing a solution for a problem that does not exist.
    "In times of change learners inherit the earth; while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer

Actually I kicked around a concept somewhat similar to this in a paper I did for a class (slapout's seen it...and I may expand it as a more serious article). It was more of an updated version of the division cavalry squadron circa Vietnam (except with two ground combat troops, two air troops, and a boosted H&S troop), but I'd actually call the concept more medium cavalry than I would any sort of Spec Ops unit. It's optimized to serve as a reaction force for COIN efforts, but would also function pretty well in a medium to high level conflict as recon and/or security (as well as a reaction force for the Somalia-type situations...it's intended to have a reasonable deployment footprint).

I don't know that you really need to take an armored unit and slap it into SOC to do this, but you do need to hark back a bit to the more traditional roles of cavalry in the US: those being as a reaction force and dragoons.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Essentially this concept sounds like a TF Baum/Hammelburg Raid type unit. Entirely self-contained armored task force.

I agree essentially with what SFC W has said; if the mission requires such a unit, it's not a mission for SOF. DA or recon missions seem to me to require an element of speed and stealth that are incompatible with a couple of M1 tanks clanking around. If armor or heavy air/arty support is needed for potential extraction, SOF should be able to call upon those regular forces if needed; that doesn't warrant a brand-new unit.

As far as the self-contained armored TF, for raids or other "special" missions; I think the armored cav concept, and the ability to pare down an ACR into smaller packages depending on the mission, is sufficient; though I don't know enough to say for sure.

To expand upon JonSlack, this unit would be a redundant raid-type capability (covered by ACRs) and much too heavy for SOF-type missions. It would indeed be a unit without a true niche mission.

Perhaps you could expand upon the type of role such a TF would fulfill?

Matt
    Last edited by MattC86; 12-26-2007 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Formatting problems
    "Give a good leader very little and he will succeed. Give a mediocrity a great deal and he will fail." - General George C. Marshall