Thread: Steve Metz has published a valuable article.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Where will all those civilians come from?

there are not too many options.

a. reinstitue draft
    b. pay them a higher or equivavalent of their civilan income

I don't see it happening anytime soon. Cuz' then the soldiers earnings has to be raised too.

MikeF
    Naw, Wilf. The American Empire just practices a unique brand that I'll call politically-correct colonialism. We really shouldn't be in the Empire business. We're much better off when we don't meddle into others affairs.

Luckily/unfortunately -I can't decide- the days of good ol' isolationism are gone.
    Nihil sub sole novum.

b. pay them a higher or equivavalent of their civilan income
    Isn't that essentially the contracting work that goes on now?

zenpundit tackled the problem Metz outlines in his article pretty well, from a US point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMaior View Post
    Luckily/unfortunately -I can't decide- the days of good ol' isolationism are gone.
    UM- I didn't mean to imply isolationism. See the rest of my comments. I realize that we're engaged. I'm just trying to frame the role that we should play- negotiator, banker, dealer, arbitrator. Call it what you want just don't call it COIN.

The foundations of our society in governance and economics premise on the notions of self-determination, self-reliance, and free-will. We shouldn't be suprised when others don't do what they're told b/c we try to force our will on them. However, things like FID and Greg Mortensen's venture work in small incriments as we help others help themselves.

Slap- when is SBW gonna be published??? Clausewitz stalled so long that his wife had to finish the book.

v/r

Mike

Council Member

Self-determination, self-reliance and free will encompasses a lot of options.

One theory for low US election participation (especially at the local level) is "voting by feet." People in the US usually move to places that share their views, attitudes, and, for example, tax tolerance and school quality/commitment. Since most of that is resolved by their location, there is no need to actively vote/participate in government activities.

Besides, most of us (by lineage) fled some other dastardly place or condition (Ireland during the famines, Eastern Europe during the pogroms, etc...), so why is the blue thumb the only relevant metric?

The flows of refugees from Iraq and Afghanistan sure suggest that the time-honored tradition of voting with feet is alive and well there, as is the reality that most humans, as in Pakistan, rapidly flee before exposing their family to the hazards of conflict between, say, a government army and the Taliban.

Two options if the Taliban came to power in Kabul. One, all Afghans can succumb to them, or, two, they can chnge it by either driving them out, or fleeing as refugees.

Why is it not an option to leave Kabul to the Taliban, then (as before), back their opponents who will keep them in continual fighting just to hold minimal power?

Otherwise, if we protect "the people" from the Taliban, they have no reason, apparently, to make major commitments of life and treasure (what treasure they may have) to help us do it. No?

That is one of the arguments heard re: Afghan national corruption. Since we are only going to be there for a short time, after which the sky will fall (for some), they need to grab as much as they can as quickly as possible???!!!

Paradoxes, but like Rob argues: Ours is not to question why....

Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Slap- when is SBW gonna be published??? Clausewitz stalled so long that his wife had to finish the book.

v/r

Mike
    No book, but I am working on the article if Colonel Gurney dosen't file 13 it. I write with a legal pad. SWC is about the only computer stuff I do.

I will say this in Warden's class on SMART Wars/ SMART Strategies you not only write a plan for what the enemy will look like when you are done but you also write a plan on what you want YOUR COUNTRY to look like when you are done (ie, your stronger position). Bet you donuts and coffe there ain't no such animal at the white house.
    Last edited by slapout9; 10-21-2009 at 03:44 AM. Reason: notes