Thread: All matters MRAP JLTV (merged thread)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    It needs to be accepted that the TB using IEDs set the pace of the war and maintained the initiative. Of course you continue to play catch-up if you insist on driving down the same roads and walking down the same routes. The IED has become to modern insurgents what the AK-47 meant to those in the 60s and 70s.

It seems that only the targeting of HVTs by special forces kept the TB unbalanced if at all.

That is a terrible indictment of the inability of forces on the ground to adapt to local war circumstances.

You're extrapolating greatly here. Plenty of case studies of units influencing the IED fight in their sector using innovative tactics.

Going in blind? I raise the not so insignificant matter of operational continuity (once again).
    Who said we are going in blind? We have been in coordination with our transition unit a year out, and exchange data weekly. We just had elements do (not including myself, I had to mind the store here) a face to face sector recon for two weeks. I'm not going to post details about what we saw or where we're going here on a public internet forum though. My comment was simply meant, that like you, I am also subject to what I read here and am told. I know the platoons in the unit we are replacing does 60-80km of dismounted ops weekly, in conjuction with mounted movements across the AO.

Secondly, as far as armoured units are concerned. They should only be deployed in their role. If there is no armoured role then leave them at home, or convert them to infantry or disband them.
    We essentially have converted many to infantry for the duration, see COL Gentile's many criticisms. The vehicles we have are used in theater.

Maybe someone thought of using helicopters but quite obviously that didn't compute into action. Brit commanders still complain that the shortage of helicopter lift restricts them tactically.
    We're not the Brits.

Lets see how much of a joke you see the helicopter shortage issue as when you start losing troops unnecessarily. Sorry I don't buy that. You owe it to your men to insist that you get the right tools to do the job. You should be prepared to walk if they don't.
    I never said it was a joke, and this isn't my first rodeo. Care to read any of my bio stuff?

I can't contain the simple fact that the U.S. Army Aviation is fighting two wars and simply doesn't have enough helis in the inventory to support 2 large theaters over a decade of conflict. As a relatively junior officer I have no control over that and see no point on falling on a sword over it when it is you that have made it into this existential issue.

It's not like units are getting wiped out or anything. By historical standards casualties are low compared against almost any similar conflict. Units are doing better than you allege, that's what I'm saying, and we're not as stupid as you imply.

He too missed the point that there are other possibilities or troop movement and insertion than vehicles and on foot.
    I am sorry we can't all rise to your high standards of ops. Would love to live in the perfect world where I got everything I wanted. Instead I make do with what I have, and do pretty well at it. You're extrapolating from one article and one observation and applying it to an entire country. I'm saying there are many variations of what is being done, some good, some bad. But overall we're doing okay, even excellent in spots.

I'm not a defender of everything we do. But I do guard against blanket statements and accusations that are not true in the macro.
    Last edited by jcustis; 12-01-2010 at 03:26 AM. Reason: corrected quotes
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?