Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thinking of Tomas...

We're up to $1810.00 USD.

68 days until the walk.

63 days until Tomas leads his team.

We're sitting at 17% of his goal, looking good.

I promise...no more posts on this subject after this one ;-)

The Leukemia Lymphoma Society (LLS) is giving out gas cards; $15.00 for raising $250.00 on line and $50.00 for every $500.00 raised during the months of July & August. While driving home from the clinic yesterday we determined that all gas cards that Team Tomas would get will be turned over to the clinic to pass out to families that need help.

We would be getting two birds with one donation, funding to help research for a cure and gas cards that would help families in need.

I checked with the LLS rep and the clinic head nurse, both gave the okay for distributing the gas cards.

If you can donate please go to:

http://www.active.com/donate/ltnRichmo/2335_nichols63

Info on how Tomas is doing:

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/tomasnichols

Prayers for Tomas and all children going through this life threatening battle are especially welcomed.

Thank you.

S/F

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by nichols View Post
    I promise...no more posts on this subject after this one ;-)
    BS. Carry on. Go Tomas.

Quote Originally Posted by SWCAdmin View Post
    BS. Carry on. Go Tomas.

Okay...you called that right.

Long day at Walter Reed today. He was getting a Renal Lasix done to check on his kidneys. We also found out that his ANC crashed to 318, he can not fight off a common cold. ER runs for sniffles are the current battle drill. His bilirubin counts are still too high, possible liver problems and now because of the low ANC.....he's off chemotherapy. He's patroling with no weapon or body armor.

This is exactly why we are trying to raise funds. We need to stop carpet bombing these kids in order to kill the cancer. funds are needed to discover a JDAM for childhood cancer.

His spirits are rock bottom right now, had to cancel his sisters birthday party.

Default we'll keep him in our prayers

Quote Originally Posted by nichols View Post
    Okay...you called that right.

Long day at Walter Reed today. He was getting a Renal Lasix done to check on his kidneys. We also found out that his ANC crashed to 318, he can not fight off a common cold. ER runs for sniffles are the current battle drill. His bilirubin counts are still too high, possible liver problems and now because of the low ANC.....he's off chemotherapy. He's patroling with no weapon or body armor.

This is exactly why we are trying to raise funds. We need to stop carpet bombing these kids in order to kill the cancer. funds are needed to discover a JDAM for childhood cancer.

His spirits are rock bottom right now, had to cancel his sisters birthday party.
    who says the calender couldn't accidently slip back at a later date?
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur

Update from elsewhere on the web:

http://www.wargamer.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=296668

FYI, over there, "nichols" is "smuckatelli"
    It's a bit long, but the payoff is well worth it.
    Brant
    Wargaming and Strategy Gaming at Armchair Dragoons
    Military news and views at GrogNews

“their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of ‘rights’… and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure.” Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers 1959

Play more wargames!

One more day left in August, last chance to donate for research and gas cards for needy servicemembers families that are fighting this fight.

The Leukemia Lymphoma Society (LLS) is giving out gas cards; $15.00 for raising $250.00 on line and $50.00 for every $500.00 raised during the months of July & August. While driving home from the clinic yesterday we determined that all gas cards that Team Tomas would get will be turned over to the clinic to pass out to families that need help.

We would be getting two birds with one donation, funding to help research for a cure and gas cards that would help families in need.

I checked with the LLS rep and the clinic head nurse, both gave the okay for distributing the gas cards.

If you can donate please go to:

Info on how Tomas is doing:

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/tomasnichols

Thanks for the reminder. Go team Tomas.

28 days left before Tomas leads the walk. We're sitting at 21% of the goal. I probably shouldn't have let him set such a high goal but 4 months ago it seemed do-able.

Kohl's is planning on a $500.00 donation this week. We ran an add in the local newspaper on Friday (attached bmp)......not too much coming out of that, probably wasn't a good expediture of family money.

Sorry for sounding like a broken record, Tomas' motivation really goes up when he sees donations in his name.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nichols; 09-06-2008 at 09:59 PM.

Bad expenditure of limited funds on the newspaper add. No donations came out of it.

We're sitting at 26% of Tomas' goal, I wise he wouldn't have picked such a high number.

We're sitting at 34% with only 7 days left. I wish that Tomas hadn't picked 15k as a goal but now it appears that this is a good amount tied in with the 2015 goal of have one "JDAM" pill that kills the cancer and not the child.

If you're leaning towards donating, now's the time.

Please keep the prayers going for Tomas & all other children that are fighting this battle.

About 23 hours until the walk, looks like Tomas will be leading 60-70 Walkers.....he's pretty happy.

Today is the day.

It looks like there will be 70-80 walkers on Team Tomas. He didn't make the 15k goal but he did really good, it should be a little over 7500.

I did a blood draw on him yesterday, his ANC came in at 1020, liver enzymes are a little elevated but not enough to stop the chemo.

While I was dressing him this morning he asked if it was payday...I told him yes it was last week, he comes back with "you have to put a thousand dollars to the walk." I told him that it was family money to buy things for the family. His answer was "what's more important, toys and things or better medicine for the kids fighting leukemia?"

I wish that we could commit that thousand dollars for the cause.

He's pretty happy.
    Last edited by nichols; 10-04-2008 at 02:11 PM.

Default An update on the Light the Night Walk.

As of today Team Tomas managed to raise $7,758.75, Kohls is submitting a $500.00 grant for the walk. Team Tomas may get credited for this, if so, Tomas will finish out at $8258.75. Team Tomas didn’t reach the goal of $15,000.00 but a lot was learned in the process of raising funds. I don’t think Tomas’ goal was out of reach, we should have broken the fund raising into three segments.

There were a total of 73 walkers that formed the Team Tomas walking team. Tomas was directly responsible for getting the following support in addition to funds:

Kohls supplied 6 workers to manage accounting.

Best Buy supplied a photographer and an additional walker.

Comfort Inn supplied rooms for out of town walkers at a substantial discount.

Walmart and Giant Foods supplied gift cards for walk supplies

Home Depot supplied a tarp and tent.

Tomas’ uncle and nephews helped set up the walk site and mark the route.
    The walk went very smooth, there were four children that had various forms of childhood cancer that were honored at the beginning of the event. Following the opening ceremony there was a candle lighting for friends and family that had lost the battle against cancer.

The Leukemia Lymphoma Society representatives designated Tomas to kick off and lead the walk. Tomas was extremely happy to do this but it happened so quickly that Team Tomas was spread out in groups throughout the crowd. Someday I’ll tell Tomas that one of the reasons that he was the lead was because they thought that he would set a good pace for all of the other walkers. There wasn’t a lot of time between the ceremony ending and the walk beginning so the various teams didn’t get a chance to form up before stepping off. While Tomas did start off with a nice easy pace, because people were still getting their teams together, the walk had the caterpillar effect. The police estimated that there were 600-700 walkers so the line was pretty long.

Overall this year’s walk, from Tomas’ perspective, exceeded last year. The relatives from out of state and country, the amount of funds donated, and the realization by Tomas as to what these funds were for made for a very special night for him.

Two days after the walk he told me that he hopes the Leukemia Lymphoma Society makes a liquid medicine that taste like honey so that other kids don’t have to throw up a lot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Congrats Paul !

Awesome pics and some great walkers.

I had images of Tomas performing military cadence with some righteous Jodie Calls

Jody, Jody six feet four
    Jody never had his ass kicked before.
    I'm gonna take a three-day pass
    And really slap a beating on Jody's ass!
    My best to you and yours, Stan
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Excellent. Thanks for the sitrep.

My daughters attempt to handle our finances with the same initiative, though for much less worthy purposes.