Thread: Latest CJR -- Ricks

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default To William F. Owen

OK (citing Wilf),
    but I think FM23-4 is not fit for purpose and I do not think much of "Learning to Eat Soup with a Knife."
    Not surprised, but for most of my fellow officers they are the books that they read and say, "OK these are things I can do." I would love to know your recommendations on books or articles that provide actionable tips for currently serving officers.

Sorry, but some very much wish to inject novelty and insight into COIN. That's why they are called "new theories." ...and they are using a whole new language to try and appear original.
    Except straight from the horse's mouth FM 3-24: "Insurgency and its tactics are as old as warfare itself." Also, the most commonly cited counter-insurgency experts is David Galula and he published a long time ago.

Keegan certainly did not and nor did Van Creveld.
    I do not know enough on this front to dispute you assessment. All I have ever read is introductions or summaries of his work. Based on the fact that all his writings explain every conflict, it wouldn't surprise me if they were just vague enough to be able to be interpreted to every conflict. As I said, I haven't read him though.

Unfortunately, I see Clausewitz more as the father of WWI and the Cold War and less useful for messy political wars. That is just my opinion I haven't read him, I only know who he has influenced.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 10-18-2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Quote marks replaced bold