Thread: Mech Platoon: CAB or ACR

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    That trend migrated down to Bn level after 1969 when the third and fourth string LTCs got in country and found they had no CPTs and few senior NCOs but a bunch of 2LTs and SGTs (NCOC Grads, six months of service...) who would do anything you asked but who knew little and thus almost had to be micromanaged -- thus a generation of Generals learned to over micromanage everything. They made it a way of life...
    Ken,

Never thought I'd say this, but the cycle is there and now I'm potentially part of the problem ...

Cav Squadron XO life is great, but different than when I last was in a troop unit - we could count on 3-5 Captain's Course graduates in the staff, now we're lucky to have one. For you non-army types, they teach staff work at the Captain's course, which makes having a good density of grads a multiplier. So I find myself having to explain/teach a lot of basic things (staff skills) to the motivated but untrained 1LTs that comprise a good deal of the staff. No crisis but certainly slows things down.

I can see where some might choose/be forced to micromanage IOT ensure success. Fortunately I have enough time to teach what I need before we deploy, and they're a sharp bunch. Makes the learning curve steeper though.
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

Default Thanks for the update, glad all's going well.

They've got a good teacher, they'll be okay. I know NOT micromanaging is far harder -- but IMO it's worth it.

Keep up the fire!

Quote Originally Posted by Cavguy View Post
    I can see where some might choose/be forced to micromanage IOT ensure success. Fortunately I have enough time to teach what I need before we deploy, and they're a sharp bunch. Makes the learning curve steeper though.
    IMO, its not micromanaging to teach a subordinate the skills he needs to succeed in a position that he has not been trained for. Now, if you are still treating them the same way in a year, it might be a problem.

And enjoy your time in a BN- I've got another year and a half before I'll see a BN again.

Default "Don't apologize, Mister, it's a sign of weakness."

By chance, did any of the old-time cavalrymen here ever serve with one Captain Nathan Brittles? There are a few guys here who are old enough to have been the ground guide for the Trojan Horse.

JohnWayneYellowRibbons.jpg

Oh well, in 1898 it was too late for my great-grandfather to have known Captain Brittles when he was in the U.S. Cavalry. Great-grandpa never made it closer to the Spanish than Camp Lewis, Washington during the war, but according to the stories he told afterwards the Greasers would have surrendered immediately if they had to deal with him. Grandma said he'd drive her mother nuts when he'd get out his Army Colt .45 revolver and fiddle with it after he'd been drinking.