Quote Originally Posted by Uboat509 View Post
While it might be emotionally pleasing to turn this guy over to Afghan justice...Based on the reports coming out from this incident, this guy probably does deserve that...Where do you draw the line?
I wouldn't turn him over to Afghan justice at at all. I wouldn't turn him over to anyone unless it was well and duly proven that he in fact did what is alleged -- that would take a US Court Martial (which could be convened and completed at KAF in less than a month or so) and then IF he were guilty, give him to the villagers, no Afghan justice involved in the formal sense and no intent to serve as an example to deter others (anyone that apparently nutty wouldn't be deterred...), nor any intent to calm the Afghans -- merely an eye for an eye...

Yes, that's barbaric. So is war. I'm a barbarian; can't say I really like war but it doesn't bother me. Nor does killing those who deserve it or who are trying to kill me. What was apparently done by someone -- and I have seen others in other places do similar things over the years -- was so wrong as to not deserve any better end. That depth of evil does bother me, barbarian or no and IF what's reported is fairly accurate, then my line was crossed (as occurred with the guys from the 506th in the Black Hearts thing). Most everyone has their own line and most adapt to circumstances.

Such a quick trial and turn over is not going not going to happen and I know it. I also know that my line isn't everyone's or the system's and that's okay. However, such a turnover if the affair is proven to be as it appears would fit my perhaps overdeveloped, mayhap even perverted, sense of justice.

Since that isn't going to happen, I agree with your handling and end result.