Thread: Is Cyber a new warfare? Debate (catch all)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
    Of course cyber war is asymmetric. If you put "cyber" and "war" together than cyber is the modifier of war. War is inherently asymmetric otherwise it is a stalemate. That is as Clausewitz, Sun Tzu as you can get. Why would you engage in conflict it it was symmetric? That is why peer competitors rarely are aggressors towards each other.
    You're taking it a little too broadly. Yes, any conflict can, in some form, be described as "asymmetric", but given that, it's a simple matter and common practice to select for conflicts which are more extreme in their asymmetry. Your statement is comparable to saying that it's pointless to describe any person as "tall", because all people are taller than ants. Within the range of asymmetry that can be seen in warfare, some types of warfare are more asymmetric than others, and those are the ones we call "asymmetric warfare".

Quote Originally Posted by ganulv View Post
    As a non-expert who can barely handle basic HTML I understand cyberwarfare to entail attacks upon networked resources via the use of networked resources (which is to say that blowing up a server room would not count as cyberwarfare).
    I'm not the one to ask for a precise definition, but I'd say blowing up a server room could count as cyberwarfare. It depends on why you did it. If you blow up the room to kill the guy in it, maybe it's not really cyberwarfare; if you did it to take down the network the room serves, maybe it is. If you blow up the room to kill the IT techs who are preventing you from infiltrating your target network... maybe that counts too. I'm not sure it's actually all that necessary to strictly define what cyberwarfare means; as the practice grows, it will be integrated more completely into other forms of warfare (and other forms of warfare will be integrated into it).
    Last edited by motorfirebox; 06-01-2011 at 06:43 PM.