Thread: Rifle squad composition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    However, I've long noted the ability of armed forces all over the world to cram two weeks of instruction into six weeks...
    YES! - exactly. This is something I have never understood, and it points to process over end state.

To engage over open/optic sights out to 2,000m, I can't see needing more than 2 days and that's with live firing. If the guys already know the M240 from the light role, then 1 day is all it would take.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    To engage over open/optic sights out to 2,000m, I can't see needing more than 2 days and that's with live firing.
    2000 meters in 2 days? With standard platoon/squad equipment?
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
    2000 meters in 2 days? With standard platoon/squad equipment?
    M240/GPMG, plus tripod and buffer mount. Plus you'll need a pair of binoculars to spot the fall of shot. At night this drops off to tracer burn out. Thermal Imager may help, but I've never done it with TI.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Default Yup.

M240/GPMG, plus tripod and buffer mount. Plus you'll need a pair of binoculars to spot the fall of shot. At night this drops off to tracer burn out. Thermal Imager may help, but I've never done it with TI.
    Ain't hard...

Council Member

Don't forget to teach them how to dig a proper MG trench either (that's worth the better part of a day). And for those not using the old Browning .30 cal tripod (the US still does) but the full 6400-mil traverse tripod and gun cradle that comes with a Tritium lamp (Canadian have that) for the aiming stakes, all the joys that come with using the Mortar sight for registering targets and laying the gun.

Default Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk View Post
    Don't forget to teach them how to dig a proper MG trench either (that's worth the better part of a day). And for those not using the old Browning .30 cal tripod (the US still does) but the full 6400-mil traverse tripod and gun cradle that comes with a Tritium lamp (Canadian have that) for the aiming stakes, all the joys that come with using the Mortar sight for registering targets and laying the gun.
    The quest for quality does complicate life, does it not. Lights are for wimps.

We gots a new tripod on the way -- still no 6400 mil but note the weight!

That was all the stuff I was trying to avoid! Direct fire only.

...and in "Dicta Wilf" there are no trenches. There are hides and fire positions.

Council Member

Ken White wrote:

The quest for quality does complicate life, does it not. Lights are for wimps.
    The entire body of Machine-Gunners of the Royal Canadian Infantry Corps is crestfallen at this statement, Ken [Norfolk proceeds to sob uncontrollably].

That tritium lamp sitting on top of that aiming stake is, frankly, creepy, a dull green eye staring back at you in the distance. And if it ever blinked back at me, I'd be out of my trench so fast no tracer could catch me.

and:

We gots a new tripod on the way -- still no 6400 mil but note the weight!
    I sees that - nice piece of kit; GPMG gunners the world over are drooling over it (I must admit to having been so afflicted myself, a little). But really, would't the Airborne and the Marines be better off it they shed that much weight themselves before they demanded it of an inanimate object that has no control over its BMI? (Reference Ken W.'s first comment).

Wilf wrote:

That was all the stuff I was trying to avoid! Direct fire only.

...and in "Dicta Wilf" there are no trenches. There are hides and fire positions.
    I think Wilf's really an ex-Para masquerading as an ex-Royal Green Jacket. Only the Paras possess this level of phobia regarding trenches, shovels, and anything that requires digging.

Default Ugh. Please. Avoid foul langwitch...

Shovels? DIGGING? Yeck...

Council Member

I think Wilf's really an ex-Para masquerading as an ex-Royal Green Jacket. Only the Paras possess this level of phobia regarding trenches, shovels, and anything that requires digging.
    Norfolk,

You sure the Green Jackets don't have the same phobia? I don't remember Sharpe and Harper ever digging in.

"Rifles forward! Form skirmish line (or whatever command they used to give)!"
    "Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper