Thread: Infantry accompanying load carriers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A better load carrier will simply result in greater loads...that we don't need in the first place.

Now, take my combat load and cut it to half its weight from lighter materials and then we're talking!

Default Yep. We have too much junk; 'technical solutions' to ameliorate poor training.

Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
    A better load carrier will simply result in greater loads...that we don't need in the first place.
    We are spoiled and most of those "solutions" don't quite do the job...

Though my guess would be some form of transport will prevail and training will not be improved.

The German infantry used one horse-drawn cart (a small one) per infantry platoon in WW2. There was no need to move it into combat itself, but it was a company-level asset and therefore brought quite close to the action.
    This kind of load carrying arrangement (=non-combat loads on trucks/APCs) looks still optimal to me unless we're talking about long-range patrols.

For long range patrols over (mostly) wheel-compatible terrain I would have a look at working dogs. They can help as scout dogs (much superior senses), bolster morale, help security at night and at the same time pull a small cart. The latter is possible for soldiers as well, of course. We just don't like to do the job of working animals.
    A cart no heavier than what can be lifted over a wall by four men would likely be useful, especially for troops that carry especially heavy single loads (AT and mortar teams, for example).

M-gators were a common sight at the JRTC prior to 9-11 and even afterward until we made the formal switch to MREs for Iraq and secondarily for Afghanistan. The M-gator served the same purpose as the WWII Jeep and trailer and they work quite well.

Tom

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    A cart no heavier than what can be lifted over a wall by four men would likely be useful, especially for troops that carry especially heavy single loads (AT and mortar teams, for example).
    The 1st Ranger Battalion found that useful in the Italian campaign.

As did other units: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1
    Last edited by Rifleman; 11-22-2009 at 08:00 PM.
    "Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper

Council Member

Default Manpack carts - looking good

Just need a way for a narrow bicycle-style tire to be quickly replaced with a balloon-style tire when dealing with sand/muck. Make it out of lightweight aluminum, make it able to be disassembled for air assault or manpack, and again, keep it light.

Some of my Canadian friends have told me of pulling sledges while wearing snowshoes, with 2 Soldiers pulling the sledge with over-the-shoulder traces, while a third pushes and steers.

Tankersteve

Council Member

Smile The Soldier's Load

The greatest problem with the combat load today is the body armor. When you start with 45 lbs burden it is a quick trip to 30% or 50% of the porter's weight. Soldiers are not meant to be pack animals and when used as such are less effective at soldiering. The best part of training is realizing what looks good on paper doesnt work in reality. Two things are important here, 1)you can not train the average Soldier to be a SuperSoldier no more than you can train an attack dog to be an attack mule and 2) the carts or jeeps or iBattles are not likely to solve this. Likely just adding to the stuff Joe can break or lose. I have often joked with my battle's that "They" weigh you down so "They" know you can't run away. You always need about twice as many troops to do what half could do in better circumstances.

Council Member

Default Bicycle

How does one ride a bicycle in full battle rattle? Very carefully i would presume.

Thumbs down

Some of my Canadian friends have told me of pulling sledges while wearing snowshoes, with 2 Soldiers pulling the sledge with over-the-shoulder traces, while a third pushes and steers.

Tankersteve
    Not just Canadians. At Ft. Richardson we had/have akio sleds as well. We cursed them from the bottoms of our airborne hearts btw.
    Reed
    Quote Originally Posted by sapperfitz82 View Post
    This truly is the bike helmet generation.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by reed11b View Post
    Not just Canadians. At Ft. Richardson we had/have akio sleds as well. We cursed them from the bottoms of our airborne hearts btw.
    Reed
    I've pulled them at Ft. McCoy, Wisconsin and in the Italian Alps. I didn't like it any more than you.
    "Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by tankersteve View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reed11b View Post
    Reed
    Good old winter warfare and the tobaggan groups. Although they enable us to live and operate in cold environments (been out in -30 C to - 40 with them), I often wonder what sort of tactical or operational effect we'd hope to achieve with them, although the unique TTPs make the training worthwhile (almost everyone takes winter warfare training to some extent up here).

I've never worked with the Canadian Rangers in the Arctic, but I understand they use snowmobiles/dog teams. Snow and cold sllloooowwws operations right down - you spend 80% of your effort and energy fighting the climate. Foot mobility is severely hampered, although snowshoes help and a BV 206 is a godsend.

I've often figured that if we had to fight in this sort of environment, we could just set up, piquet the bad guys (whatever they were doing in such a barren environment), and let mother nature do the rest.