Thread: 2 Questions: Do You Write An Intelligence Blog and What's Your Favorite?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Sam, you've once again cheated by adding biker pics and chicks

BTW, I applied for an account at your place in order to respond to you posts, and have yet to hear back Was that in effect a subliminal message

Regards, Stan

Dang Stan you were ok to post with day 1.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
    Dang Stan you were ok to post with day 1.
    Well (in your defense), I applied under another 'call sign' in keeping with the traditions of Secret Squirrel

I'll give it another shot in the AM (on duty and beat).

Default Blog I enjoy

Intel Dump is not just strictly intel but a good read >> http://www.intel-dump.com/

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by JamesM
    Intel Dump is not just strictly intel but a good read >> http://www.intel-dump.com/
    Again, not an "intelligence" blog, oriented or focused. Another example of a blog using a title that is not reflective of its actual content is JIOX-Intelligence Tradecraft and Analysis. Plenty of useful links, not much commentary, and absolutely nothing to do with the lable chosen - aside from all the external links.

It may seem petty, but the frequent and common misuse of the term intelligence is a pet peeve of mine. Just because someone throws together a bunch of articles, commentary and links related to various aspects of the COE does not make it "intelligence". Cutting and pasting news articles is not equivalent to producing OSINT. There are hundreds of those types of sites out there - the vast majority are truly amateurish crap - and a few do a really worthwhile job of finding a specific focus, producing well-crafted entries with useful links, as well as putting together a decent presentation of the blog itself. Many of the good ones have been mentioned here. None of'em are "intelligence". Commentary and opinion is not analysis.

Of course, there are plenty of members of the newly emergent community of so-called "intelligence analysts" at DHS and the Bureau (as well as at state/local level) who are guilty of exactly the same thing, but with pretenses of being professional members of the IC. They cut and paste open source articles into a bulletin, add a generic statement or paragraph about potential threat and maintaining vigilance yadda yadda, and then tack on FOUO/LES and distro the thing. In most cases, they are of a far lower quality than a blog entry in one of the better blogs that have been mentioned in this thread. Hell, there was a recent joint DHS-FBI bulletin whose sole source was a Debka article. Those "analysts" should have been fired on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedburgh View Post
    It may seem petty, but the frequent and common misuse of the term intelligence is a pet peeve of mine. Just because someone throws together a bunch of articles, commentary and links related to various aspects of the COE does not make it "intelligence".
    So, how do you feel about Treverton's book "Reshaping National Intelligence for an Age of Information?
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Banned

It may seem petty, but the frequent and common misuse of the term intelligence is a pet peeve of mine. Just because someone throws together a bunch of articles, commentary and links related to various aspects of the COE does not make it "intelligence". Cutting and pasting news articles is not equivalent to producing OSINT. There are hundreds of those types of sites out there - the vast majority are truly amateurish crap - and a few do a really worthwhile job of finding a specific focus, producing well-crafted entries with useful links, as well as putting together a decent presentation of the blog itself. Many of the good ones have been mentioned here. None of'em are "intelligence". Commentary and opinion is not analysis.
    I guess this is partly my fault. I asked about "Intelligence blogs" without defining what I mean't. I didn't mean blogs that generate analysis ONLY. I also mean't blogs that discuss news and issues related to the IC. IntelFusion isn't an analysis blog, for example, but I do cover data fusion issues faced by the IC. Besides, collection and collaboration can also be legitimate aspects of an "Intelligence" blog, while analysis can be completely excluded. I would include all of those under the general umbrella of "Intelligence" blogs. I think that blogs that focus on generating analysis would be a specific subset of that.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
    I guess this is partly my fault. I asked about "Intelligence blogs" without defining what I mean't. I didn't mean blogs that generate analysis ONLY. I also mean't blogs that discuss news and issues related to the IC. IntelFusion isn't an analysis blog, for example, but I do cover data fusion issues faced by the IC. Besides, collection and collaboration can also be legitimate aspects of an "Intelligence" blog, while analysis can be completely excluded. I would include all of those under the general umbrella of "Intelligence" blogs. I think that blogs that focus on generating analysis would be a specific subset of that.
    While it's not a blog, what about oss.net?