Thread: The Roles and Weapons with the Squad

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Chris jM View Post
    - so yes, when I say map predicted fire I'm not making a mistake nor making things up. Pre-registered is a far simpler undertaking!
    OK, just checking....

And the M2 has some sort of effect? I was always very doubtful of the GPMG in this role and the M2 would seem even less so.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    OK, just checking....

And the M2 has some sort of effect? I was always very doubtful of the GPMG in this role and the M2 would seem even less so.
    Apologies, I didn't mean to come across up-tight or defensive (which on a re-read of my post, I did). Yours was a legitimate query wondering if I had got it wrong, as pre-registered fire is common sense and map predicted is not.

Effect? Would have no idea. However, given that we had been hauling the HMG kit dismounted for that FTX we were more enthusiastic about getting rid of the ammo than we were about what was happening at the other end!!

I agree with you in that a MG (HMG, GPMG, etc) in the indirect role is at best novel misuse, and at most completely stupid.
    '...the gods of war are capricious, and boldness often brings better results than reason would predict.'
    Donald Kagan

Default I agree that using the M2 in that role is

Quote Originally Posted by Chris jM View Post
    I agree with you in that a MG (HMG, GPMG, etc) in the indirect role is at best novel misuse, and at most completely stupid.
    both novel misuse and stupid for the reasons that Wilf cites("Very low ROF, very heavy, and very accurate - so no beaten zone!").

For the GPMG, I don't agree that it is misuse or stupid though I fully acknowledge it would have little use in the types of warfare in which the the west currently engages. However, given an even slightly more intensive war against a like armed opponent and some use of the defense, be it hasty or deliberate and if delays and combat outpost lines are employed, the technique is valuable. Nor is it as complex as ChrisJM seems to imply. Further, while the mortar can indubitably do a better job in the indirect role, there are not nearly as many of them and they should go to the priority targets while the GPMGs with their poor accuracy and thus large beaten zone can do enough damage on the less important targets. Not to mention the times when the mortars are not available for one reason or another. Particularly valuable technique if your enemy has counterfire radar -- Mortar guys hate those, I bet...

I can see why Chris and Wilf alone here (of all you kids... ) seem to have practiced it:
    The Vickers was used for indirect fire against enemy positions at ranges up to 4,500 yards. This plunging fire was used to great effect against road junctions, trench systems, forming up points, and other locations that might be observed by a forward observer, or zeroed in at one time for future attacks, or guessed at by men using maps and experience. Sometimes a location might be zeroed in during the day, and then attacked at night, much to the surprise and confusion of the enemy. New Zealand units were especially fond of this use. A white disc would be set up on a pole near the MMG, and the gunner would aim at a mark on it, knowing that this corresponded to aiming at the distant target. There was a special back-sight with a tall extension on it for this purpose. The only similar weapon of the time to use indirect fire was the German MG 08, which had a separate attachment sight with range calculator. LINK.(emphasis added / kw)
    More here: LINK, LINK. The US used the firing tables and the clinometer as opposed to using the C2 Sight. The M60 MG had milled flats for placement of the Clinometer atop the two bands that attach the gas cylinder to the barrel.
    Last edited by Ken White; 10-27-2011 at 01:20 AM.

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    For the GPMG, I don't agree that it is misuse or stupid though I fully acknowledge it would have little use in the types of warfare in which the the west currently engages. However, given an even slightly more intensive war against a like armed opponent and some use of the defense, be it hasty or deliberate and if delays and combat outpost lines are employed, the technique is valuable.
    I fully concur that it is a skill that would have application in more regular warfare. Our "ideal" target was enemy bridging or ferry sites, to try and disrupt work rates etc - but it does require a lot of practice.

Nor is it as complex as ChrisJM seems to imply.
    I never found it that easy either. While the C2 sight isn't that complex calculating the line of flight in the low trajectory and "terrain shadow" gave me a few problems!!
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition