Thread: The Second Ammendment Lobby and Police Safety

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    It has struck me for sometime now that a good % of US-made film and TV has a theme of a totalitarian nation-state, the armed struggle against such a dictatorship and "it's all a conspiracy".

I enjoyed the X-Files until they went into conspiracy mode. 'Revolution' is a more recent TV series, which after a few episodes became so predictable. The TV series 'Person of Interest', written pre-Snowden is very clever conceptually as a drama, but again there's a nation-state conspiracy.

What impact does such a constant theme in imagery have upon the general population?

Here in the UK there must be one if not two such TV programmes each day.
    David,

I'm sure it reinforces a perception, but the problem is one of the chicken and the egg. Do these shows create fear of a totalitarian state or is the fear of a totalitarian state driving people to make these movies. I would say it is the latter.

I wish I could isolate why this is. The American demographics are so varied it makes it hard to find a source. I could speculate that there are a couple of reasons. The first is that, despite older Americans being prejudice against almost everything, it is not PC to have an enemy defined by race, gender, or even religion. Therefore the common enemy has to be based on their individual beliefs or actions. Totalitarian states and dictators in particular, fit that mold. Second is our history of revolution to gain our freedom. Put these together and you get an enemy everyone can hate along with cause everyone can identify with. I suppose that this recurring theme helps reinforce the fear and paranoia, but I don't think it causes it.

Is there a common enemy in British entertainment?
    Last edited by TheCurmudgeon; 04-07-2014 at 05:06 PM.
    "I can change almost anything ... but I can't change human nature."

Jon Osterman/Dr. Manhattan
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by TheCurmudgeon View Post
    I wish I could isolate why this is. The American demographics are so varied it makes it hard to find a source. I could speculate that there are a couple of reasons. The first is that, despite older Americans being prejudice against almost everything, it is not PC to have an enemy defined by race, gender, or even religion. Therefore the common enemy has to be based on their individual beliefs or actions. Totalitarian states and dictators in particular, fit that mold. Second is our history of revolution to gain our freedom. Put these together and you get an enemy everyone can hate along with cause everyone can identify with. I suppose that this recurring theme helps reinforce the fear and paranoia, but I don't think it causes it.
    Stan,
    So is this Putin

Sadly, most of the programs that David listed are extremely popular here, to include Russia.

I gotta wonder what all these folks are thinking.
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Stan,
    So is this Putin

Sadly, most of the programs that David listed are extremely popular here, to include Russia.

I gotta wonder what all these folks are thinking.
    Putin is making a wonderful potential bad guy - fits the mold to a tee. You may not see it there, but one of the few things that is getting through our Congress with bipartisan support is aide to the Ukraine to make sure the evil Putin cannot subject the freedom loving Ukrainians to live under his totalitarian state.

Watching the conversations on Russia brings up the other problem Americans have that is obvious based on our Television shows. We want quick, easy solutions. In most action television programs the climax is resolved with a gunfight and someone shot or dead. That ends it. A quick and easy solution to a complex and vexing problem. Now I am not talking about gun violence, I am talking about quick solutions. We Americans have very little patience. We are used to getting what we want and getting it now. This means we don't like complex, long term solutions. "Nuke'em till they glow" ... don't worry about the aftermath.
    Last edited by TheCurmudgeon; 04-07-2014 at 05:30 PM.

---

Citing only one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCurmudgeon View Post
    David,

Is there a common enemy in British entertainment?
    No. If you looked at such popular programmes as 'Yes Minister', 'Blackadder' on WW1, 'Morse', 'Dr Who' and 'Sherlock' you would find plenty of enemies, often ourselves.
    davidbfpo

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    Citing only one sentence:

No. If you looked at such popular programmes as 'Yes Minister', 'Blackadder' on WW1, 'Morse', 'Dr Who' and 'Sherlock' you would find plenty of enemies, often ourselves.
    I've always like that about you Brits, you have a healthy ability to not take yourselves too seriously even when you are displaying a stiff upper lip.

---