Thread: Weight of Combat Gear Is Taking Toll

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jps2 View Post
    To JMA :
    When I was 2Lt (peace time, never been deployed), your package for 48h was between 10 and 15kg. If you add it the shield, the radio+batteries+Pda, the NVG, the 2 way telescope for everyone plus large Pda & LR Bino/LRF for team leaders it will be an extra weight i compute between 7kg (coy) and >10kg (leaders).

So, I have the same concern as you regarding a modern armored opponent.
    Am I correct in understanding that apart from your uniform and boots your load for a 48hr deployment is about 20-25 kg? Then you add the 20 odd kg for the body armour?

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    Am I correct in understanding that apart from your uniform and boots your load for a 48hr deployment is about 20-25 kg? Then you add the 20 odd kg for the body armour?
    There is different weight in body armor and I was trying to compute the extra weight for the guys having to fight with these new "toys" [my reference weight was an infantryman of 80', without backpack] (some sources said 25kg for a FFW complete suit, including 1 day food : body armor, weapon, helmet ammunition, definitive version is slightly different than that link especially the aiming device )

I'm trying to imagine the impact of that extra weight on efficiency. Less casualties is a political requirement. Does it means we have to completely give up mobility ? or does it means that nobody thinks that future opponents will be highly mobile and with modern weapons and TTP ?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jps2 View Post
    There is different weight in body armor and I was trying to compute the extra weight for the guys having to fight with these new "toys" [my reference weight was an infantryman of 80', without backpack] (some sources said 25kg for a FFW complete suit, including 1 day food : body armor, weapon, helmet ammunition, definitive version is slightly different than that link especially the aiming device )

I'm trying to imagine the impact of that extra weight on efficiency. Less casualties is a political requirement. Does it means we have to completely give up mobility ? or does it means that nobody thinks that future opponents will be highly mobile and with modern weapons and TTP ?
    Well to their credit the Brits have a programme to address the weight issue:

Reducing the Burden on the Dismounted Soldier Capability Vision
    Task 1 – Lightweight Personal Protection

It is noted from that document:

"This reduction in burden will lead to a reduction in casualties/physical injuries and hence fulfil a wider duty of care to individuals."

I accept that there is a real issue with weight adversely affecting combat performance. The pendulum has swung to far in one direction now and it is certainly hoped that initiatives like the above programme will help bring all aspects into balance.

Council Member

Thanks for the link JMA, will look at that carefully.
    Last edited by jps2; 06-19-2010 at 08:00 PM.

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post

I accept that there is a real issue with weight adversely affecting combat performance. The pendulum has swung to far in one direction now and it is certainly hoped that initiatives like the above programme will help bring all aspects into balance.
    Don't hold your breath. The document is asking for the wind.
    If we really wanted to, you could already make a substantial weight saving by reducing coverage and ballistic standards. We can do that now. We choose not to.
    It's nothing to do with science and technology. It is an entirely policy based discussion.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition