Thread: TSLC March 2010

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default In Re: Adam

I envy you your enthusiasm...

Perhaps I'm responding to what I consider (of course it is only an opinion) your hyperbole in describing a TSLC that doesn't appear much different than those I was privy to participate/observe in the past...

If you were to ask a sampling of SWC members and asked who is one of the more consistent/fair defenders of TRADOC, I would hazard a guess that I would be on most folks short list (short because there aren't too many taking up the TRADOC cause on this forum)...

I typically take up that stance because i know from experience that there are a lot people with the best of intentions attempting to support Soldiers needs to the best of their abilities...

and when I find that opinions based on experiences that are nearly a decade old are offered as fact - I'm usually the first to highlight how that opinion is in many cases out of date and not reflective of today's reality...

I note all this for no other reason than to make this one point...

What you have described is not in fact new... it may be (is) needed... it is welcome... but the fact that the commandants assembled in small groups and held a BOGSAT - Brainstormed some ideas, and then used the outbrief to highlight a particular initiative/pet project that they are working... does not constitute change much less a "giant leap" or "unpresedented"...

and to characterize it as such does little but sound like fingernails on a chalkboard... and if the intent was to inform/generate support for the TRADOC CDR's direction/intent... give us fewer superlatives and more details

That felt harsher than intended... does prolonged exposure to SWC make you grumpier??? Ken WiLF???
    Hacksaw
    Say hello to my 2 x 4

Default Probably...

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    ...does prolonged exposure to SWC make you grumpier??? Ken WiLF???
    Can't speak for Wilf, of course...

I agree that you're one of the more supportive folks with respect to TRADOC -- and I'm one of the least. I acknowledge it is needed and generally tries but do believe it is unduly bureaucratic and excessively cautious. After seven years of working in the environment (admittedly 30 years ago -- and it has not changed much in the intervening years...) I am very much in agreement with you:
    i know from experience that there are a lot people with the best of intentions attempting to support Soldiers needs to the best of their abilities.
    and that is very true, good and is the saving grace IMO. OTOH, this is also correct:
    What you have described is not in fact new...does not constitute change much less a "giant leap" or "unpresedented"...

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    Can't speak for Wilf, of course...

I agree that you're one of the more supportive folks with respect to TRADOC -- and I'm one of the least.
    Sorry for late on parade. Sabbath and all that....

I have no real issue with TRADOC per se, except they have produced some very badly written, virtually incomprehensible documents, that do nothing to improve understanding or practice. The latest FM5-0 draft being a real doozy - Apart from that, I'm sure they must do a bang up job!
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Smile I suppose that settles that...

Prolonged exposure to the SWC does make you less tolerant and more cranky
    Hacksaw
    Say hello to my 2 x 4