SMALL WARS COUNCIL
Go Back   Small Wars Council > Small Wars Participants & Stakeholders > Trigger Puller

Trigger Puller Boots on the ground, steel on target -- the pointy end of the spear.

Old 07-10-2017   #1
davidbfpo
Council Member

Default Drones for "grunts"; one enemy is ahead of us?

There is a thread on drones: http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...ead.php?t=7385 . Thanks to a WoTR article which looks at the tactical use of drones for the USMC I don't recall a discussion on this theme. Within Opsec rules.

The WoTR article opens with:
Quote:
The mass production of inexpensive commercial drones has revolutionized the entertainment industry, but the true innovators of this field are found within the ranks of the Islamic State. Weaponized quadcopters, fixed-wing drones that drop explosives, and unmanned systems that serve as aerial scouts or spotters are a real and present threat to U.S. forces.

(Later) The conclusions are that distributed infantry units should each have dedicated and near-constant overhead coverage that can meet a wide range of intelligence, communications, and fire support needs — something only the Reaper can currently accomplish.
Link:https://warontherocks.com/2017/07/la...y-exploration/

From my armchair and not wishing to treat this as a USMC-only issue my question is: Can Western armies fight 'small wars' without capable drones?

Last edited by davidbfpo; 07-11-2017 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Add 1st link
davidbfpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017   #2
JHR
Council Member

Default Drones

There might be a clue to the USA response to drone defense in some previous posts: http://hacking4defense.stanford.edu/
JHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017   #3
Condor
Council Member

I think the real issues we should be looking at are the massive societal, cultural, and religious changes happening across the globe at an accelerated pace due to variables such as the internet and mass immigration.

Just as the printing press had a massive impact on medieval Europe, resulting in centuries of bloody wars, both interstate, revolutionary, and civil until leading to the relative peace of the last 7 decades in Europe, so too our we now witnessing similar issues play out on a more global scale.

With the mass proliferation of commercially available technologies such as 'drones', additive manufacturing, and access to knowledge through mediums such as YouTube, we will continue to chase our proverbial tails if we focus on the technologies will ignoring the stuff that makes us human.

Long story short, I think we are in for a couple of really bloody centuries until there is a massive change such as the 'Enlightenment' period of Europe.
Condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017   #4
Bill Moore
Council Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
There is a thread on drones: http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...ead.php?t=7385 . Thanks to a WoTR article which looks at the tactical use of drones for the USMC I don't recall a discussion on this theme. Within Opsec rules.

The WoTR article opens with:Link:https://warontherocks.com/2017/07/la...y-exploration/

From my armchair and not wishing to treat this as a USMC-only issue my question is: Can Western armies fight 'small wars' without capable drones?
The West has a long history of fighting small wars without drones. Just to be provocative, I propose that the West could perhaps fight small wars more effectively without drones, because it would force us to develop a strategic approach beyond our excessive focus (and in some cases sole focus)on targeting individuals. Of course in reality, targeting is a key element in any war, and I don't suggest we throw the baby out with the bathwater, but we need to subordinate targeting to the larger strategy. In some cases, targeting will be a main effort, and drones will appropriately play a key role, but I think we tend to default to targeting before we really think through the problem and what we want to accomplish.
Bill Moore is offline   Reply With Quote