Thread: What Are You Currently Reading? 2012

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Have you tried this one, Firn?
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by ganulv View Post
    Have you tried this one, Firn?
    No, thanks for the link. Did you?

Sounds rather interesting but I got a couple of books waiting that I take the time to read them.
    ... "We need officers capable of following systematically the path of logical argument to its conclusion, with disciplined intellect, strong in character and nerve to execute what the intellect dictates"

General Ludwig Beck (1880-1944);
    Speech at the Kriegsakademie, 1935

Default I enjoyed reading it,

Quote Originally Posted by Firn View Post
    No, thanks for the link. Did you?
    but I have no exposure whatsoever to that world so I have no idea whether the ethnography rings true. I find the author dorkily loveable so I want to give her the benefit of the doubt.
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

I just finished the complete 166-pages of documents released by Republicans of the House Oversight Committee, and listened ton the four hours of hearing proceedings. Only about a third of the C-SPAN material is worth anything in terms of real testimony, as the remainder is just the standard grandstanding and political posturing.

Reporters continue to prove that the can be dumb and lazy without a great degree of effort.

Ganulv:

What Prof. Ho says in the video jibes with many of the things I read (I'm not in that world either), especially the part about dismantling rules that had been in effect. There have been a number of those established long ago from hard experience, the Depression, that have been done away with. If there is a discrete elite on Wall Street it stands to reason that it will have a distinct culture and that help drive their behavior. And if that culture is at odds with the rest of the country and at odds with what the rest of us figure is good behavior, trouble is in the offing.

What she says also jibes with Charles Murray's thesis in Coming Apart, that there is an elite developing in the country that basically runs the place, but that this elite has nothing much in common with the rest of us.

JCustis:

Hearings on what?
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Crap, it was the Benghazi attack hearing.

Sorry about that. Good luck finding balanced reporting about it.

Council Member

Re: Bill Moore's response to my question on momentum:

Bill,

I'd say your comment on momentum only taking us so far, as when an enemy is free to regroup in a cross border sanctuary, is spot on...

And I greatly appreciate your taking the time to research von Clausewitz in response to my question.

Cheers,
    Mike