Thread: UK Counter-Terrorism (merged thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi David,

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    So much of the government's policy on counter-terrorism, plus many other areas of policy, is theatre: make an announcement that appears effective, introduce new laws (often badly worded to the point of being worthless) and then wonder why no-one uses them.
    And pretty bad theatre, too! That was certainly my impression upon reading "Promoting Good Campus Relations, Fostering Shared Values and Preventing Violent Extremism in Universities and Higher Education Colleges" - schlock that wouldn't have more than a two night run if it wasn't financed by the Gov't!

In a lot of ways, I am reminded of the reactions that appeared in North America surrounding the Satanism Scare (Google, Amazon) of the 80's and early 90's. Bad theatre, bad social science, and just plain silliness all around.
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Default Campus theatre?

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    And pretty bad theatre, too! That was certainly my impression upon reading "Promoting Good Campus Relations, Fostering Shared Values and Preventing Violent Extremism in Universities and Higher Education Colleges" - schlock that wouldn't have more than a two night run if it wasn't financed by the Gov't!
    Yes, an amazing document, which the university heads appeared to accept, but was rejected by the main campus teaching union and national student union. 'Hate Crime' is an acceptable topic, not radicalisation / extremism. It does contain some good parts. Just to help things along there were two arrests at Nottingham University, when someone noted a "terrorist manual" had been printed off for a student (PM for more details, although on the Kings of War blogsite).

How do US / Canadian universities react to these issues?

davidbfpo

Most of the universities I've been around tend to ignore those issues, at least on the basic level. You'll see some pontification by administrators on one subject or another, but the student body on the whole ignores it and goes about their business. College athletics are the big money maker these days, along with research, and it tends to draw better if the school avoids taking a stand on anything until after something bad happens.

Sorry if that sounds cynical, but I've seen more ink spilled about the "need" for an indoor practice facility for the football team than I have any real examination of extremism or academic dishonesty. The standard answer seems to be to commission a committee to do a study, publish the report, and then go on as before unless there is potential for a lawsuit. Then some changes may be made, but they'll be small and not impact major activities in any noticeable way.

Of course, this also varies depending on the university in question. Land grant schools tend to be somewhat less excitable (and less prone to open political stances) than their state and private university relations. There's a certain regional factor that comes into play in many cases and with many situations. At least based on what I've seen. YMMV, as always with these things.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Default Academic study of terrorism - the limits?

The arrests at Nottingham Univeristy, UK rolls on - after the university announces a new policy: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...ode=402844&c=2

Previous article: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...orycode=402125

An arcane dispute for some.

davidbfpo

My own faculty has challenged my research and students reports we've written. As recently as last semester I was challenged as unpatriotic, evil, and supporting terrorism for posting a paper dealing with the US Navy Marine Corps Intranet Project. So far no black helicopters have shown up, and nobody with dark glasses following me.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Default UK CT strategy: new edition

After much publicity and commentary beforehand the UK government has re-launched the national CT strategy, now called Operation Contest Two and states a far more detailed explanation of the threat is given. A rather bulky document and only part read so far: http://security.homeoffice.gov.uk/ne...df?view=Binary

One quick comment by the BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7961299.stm

I am not sure if the Pied Piper theory of counter-radicalisation appears.

davidbfpo

Council Member

Default Reference thread

Please take a look at this thread, post #32.