Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: More Piracy Near Somalia

Default Onshore reporting

The Spectator (UK) has a columnsit Aidan hartley who is a white African farmer and writer, who has long experience of Somalia and I overlooked this article in December 2008: http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-magaz...-pirates.thtml

It provides an onshore, first-hand perspective.

davidbfpo

Default BBC Radio special

Monday late evening the BBC Radio 4's 'The World Tonight' had a special on Somalia, an interesting item and yes I hope available beyond these shores (unlike some TV links I've posted). The link is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00k3m8d

davidbfpo

Thumbs up Got It

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    Guys

I heard the elders will control things in 1984 on the ground and I heard it again in 1992 as we spun up to go in for Restore Hope. Somali culture is not Arab and the elders are not sheikhs. The fracture of the traditional lines of authority is near complete. The pirates started with the fishing community but expanded after they started making millions. Big surprise that.

Destroying boats as a tactic is fine; recognize that the Somalis will buy, steal, or build more.

Developing Somali's economy to offset a loss of piracy is the same as offering potatoes as a crop substitute for opium in Afghanistan. Kinder, gentler perhaps but ineffective.

Afloat or ashore, some Somalis are going to get shot if this surge in piracy is to end. I had rather we use our naval and air advantage to dominate. Otherwise we might as well form convoys and pay the pirates for passage rights.

At least one shipping firm is stepping up:

And yes I know times are different. That does not mean that we have to mistake stupidity for civility. Civility without firepower in Somalia is truly stupid because they merely see it as an opportunity.

Best
    Tom
    Of course those weren't the elders I was referring to.

And that last is the real reason that our elders better be on board before too much is done.
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    The Spectator (UK) has a columnsit Aidan hartley who is a white African farmer and writer, who has long experience of Somalia and I overlooked this article in December 2008: http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-magaz...-pirates.thtml

It provides an onshore, first-hand perspective.

davidbfpo
    David

good article. I discounted the bit below as the near mandatory "it is really the West's fault" comment that gets applied to African problems but otherwise a good piece.

Thanks
    Tom

So what can be done? The first task is to understand the background. For years the world has ignored Somalia as a parochial African backwater involved in a nasty civil war. Hundreds of thousands have died of hunger and in hails of bullets. Our disregard for Somalia’s suffering has resulted in a metastasised crisis that is spilling out of its borders. Piracy is just one symptom of several ways — you can add gun-running and terrorism to the list — in which Somalia’s crisis will lash out at the world in 2009.

Council Member

Default Hey Goesh ...

from g
    ....The notions of going ashore are predicated on a Liberal assumption ...
    Depends on why you are going ashore - for what purpose - and with what resources. I wasn't thinking Peace Corps (a fine organization where it can be used). Think MEU.

Actually, the idea was Todd's. I'll have to let him know that his operational tactics are based on "Liberal assumptions". That will get him going.

When all is said (above by various posters), what is done depends on political will - which at present is not committed to a military solution of any kind - other than limited self-defense measures.

Council Member

Default From Tom,

Otherwise we might as well form convoys and pay the pirates for passage rights.
    That would probably be cheaper than attempting a nation-building project.

But wait, my historical guardian angel is saying something like: "millions for defense, nothing for tribute." Must be from an earlier period with more clarity of thought.

Default I'm with you. Who's with us?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    I heard the elders will control things in 1984 on the ground and I heard it again in 1992 as we spun up to go in for Restore Hope. Somali culture is not Arab and the elders are not sheikhs. The fracture of the traditional lines of authority is near complete. The pirates started with the fishing community but expanded after they started making millions. Big surprise that.
    Dunno about 1984 but in 1992, the Clan leaders (okay, not always elders. Bad choice of words on my part. No excuse. ) were in charge and if there was any thing that screwed things up then it was Jonathan Howe emphasizing Bill's order to "get Aideed" followed by less than stellar military planning on the part of many. So yeah, fractured but always willing to reassert itself...
    Destroying boats as a tactic is fine; recognize that the Somalis will buy, steal, or build more.
    Of course they will. They'll also build Dummies. Mt point is that our technology is touted as the saving grace -- let's see how good it is...
    Afloat or ashore, some Somalis are going to get shot if this surge in piracy is to end...And yes I know times are different. That does not mean that we have to mistake stupidity for civility. Civility without firepower in Somalia is truly stupid because they merely see it as an opportunity.
    I totally agree with you on all that. The question or problem is how many shakers and movers in the USG and other western capitals agree with thee and me?

Council Member

jmm99, yes, Peace Corps volunteers in Somalia would literally be roasted alive. MikeF alludes to unsolvable problems which leads us to last resorts with these pirates. There can be no other conclusion.

Council Member

Default Pirates & fishermen

Once upon a time, well before Pirates of the Caribbean became a movie script, a Navy Lt. commented that "There is not a fisherman who is not a pirate; nor a canoe that is not a pirate vessel in miniature." (credit: Matthew C. Perry). Apt words for the present thread.

To counter that threat to US-flagged commerce, punitive anti-pirate expeditions marked early USMC history: Puerto Plata - 1800; Fajardo - 1824 (civility backed by firepower); and Quallah Battoo - 1832 (1st US military action in Asia). All of them were in an era where the flag followed commerce (to protect it) - with no "imperial pretensions" claimed.

As the shipowner's testimony evidences, the problem rests in the Executive and Legislative branches - not for lack of historical precedents.
    Last edited by jmm99; 05-07-2009 at 04:18 AM. Reason: add link

Default Warships blamed for Somali piracy

An odd headline by the BBC, attached to a comment by a Puntland minister: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8043285.stm

Another way of saying "We can solve this, give us the $". Look a flying pirate!

davidbfpo

Default What to do about the pirates?

From Brookings - The Convoy Solution to Combating Piracy

Before long, terrorists are likely to take note of the opportunity to seize Western hostages through similar acts of piracy—and their willingness to release any such hostages unharmed is open to serious doubt.

By nipping this problem in the bud, we can deter future acts of commercial piracy and prevent the nightmare scenario of an American crew in the hands of an Osama bin Laden devotee.

The right policy has three specific elements::

(1) We need to deal with pirates more firmly.

(2) We need to beef up our naval picket in the Gulf of Aden.

(3) Along the Somali coast, on the approach to Mombassa, Kenya, we should establish World War II-style convoys.
    Much more at the link
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Council Member

Default This seems a reasonable, moderate proposal ...

(from the link)
    The right policy has three specific elements::

(1) We need to deal with pirates more firmly. That means being willing to detain and try them, rather than release them back on African shores. It also means being willing to shoot at them as they approach commercial ships, once a reasonable keep-out zone is penetrated. A United Nations Security Council resolution should explicitly authorize this.

(2) We need to beef up our naval picket in the Gulf of Aden. The number of ships there is clearly not adequate to the challenge. Because distances are modest and traffic is heavy, maintaining such a naval picket is probably the most efficient approach. Where possible, vessels should be equipped with unmanned aerial vehicles, some possibly armed, to improve coverage and enhance our rapidity of response.

(3) Along the Somali coast, on the approach to Mombassa, Kenya, we should establish World War II-style convoys. Here, in contrast to the Gulf of Aden, sea traffic is light and distances are long. So convoys make the most sense
    The "capture and try, or kill if necessary" program (which could apply to all 3 suggested elements) would require a UN resolution to clarify the ROEs - that resolution would, I believe, pass here; but at the UN ?

Talking SOMALI CRUISES Fun For The Whole Family!

We guarantee that you will experience at least two hijacking attempts by pirates or we will refund half your money back, including gun rental charges and any unused ammo (mini gun charges not included).

Welcome to Somali Cruises
    We sail up and down the coast of Somalia waiting to get hijacked by pirates. We encourage you to bring your 'High powered weapons' along on the cruise. If you don't have weapons of your own, you can rent them on the boat.
    Our rates

$800.00 US/per day double occupancy (4 day max billing).
    M-16 full auto rental: $25.00/day .ammo: 100 rounds of 5.56 armor piercing ammo at $15.95.
    Ak-47 assault riffle rental: No charge. ammo: 100 rounds of 7.62 com block ball ammo at $14.95.
    Barrett M-107 .50 cal sniper riffle rental: $55.00/day. ammo: 25 rounds 50 cal armor piercing at $9.95.
    RPG rental: $75/day. ammo: 3 standard loads at $200.
    Mounted Mini-Gun $450.00 per 30 seconds of sustained fire.

Crew members can double as spotters for $30.00 per hour (spotting scope included).

"Everyone gets use of free complimentary night vision equipment and coffee and snacks on the top deck from 7pm-6am."

Meals are not included.
    Don't forget to check out the Testimonials
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Default Pirate cruises

Leaving aside the morality of a human safari for a moment. Consider the worst case scenario, the boat is boarded and captured - what then? I doubt if any travel insurer would insure you and your loved ones - hardly high risk like skiing.

Are these cruises really pirates themselves? Not all Somali boats are pirates, e.g. refugee boats in the Gulf of Aden. A PR gift too for the Somalis.

I supoose I should not be surprised and I assume this is not a hoax.

davidbfpo

Council Member

I supose I should not be surprised and I assume this is not a hoax.
    Y'know what they say about don't assume.....

It is a hoax; a "spoof" website. Well done, but the cruises aren't real.

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
    Depends on why you are going ashore - for what purpose - and with what resources. I wasn't thinking Peace Corps (a fine organization where it can be used). Think MEU.

Actually, the idea was Todd's. I'll have to let him know that his operational tactics are based on "Liberal assumptions". That will get him going.

When all is said (above by various posters), what is done depends on political will - which at present is not committed to a military solution of any kind - other than limited self-defense measures.

Actually I think it is in the Constitution, Art.1 Sec.8 both concerning the Navy, acts of Reprisal, and law on how to deal with captures on land and water.

Council Member

Default Royal Marines in action

Not sure if they sank the skiffs with the pirates still on board... Pic

Default Clarity

The BBC News: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8084098.stm says one of the two skiffs was sunk and the aspiring pirates released for another day. I hope they lost the weapons.

Update they did loss their weapons: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...abian-Sea.html

davidbfpo
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 06-08-2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Add update and link

Council Member

The BBC News: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8084098.stm says one of the two skiffs was sunk and the aspiring pirates released for another day. I hope they lost the weapons.

davidbfpo
    Attention to detail... don't leave home without it. Thanks!

Council Member

- love the money drop, very high techy, goes so well with multicultural relativism, they could have at least put a smiley face or two on the canister, happy pirates don't torture their victims before shooting them in the head ( cynicism mandated IMO)