Venezuela doesn't even come close to what he wrote.

I submit that economic development is a too slow feature for a COIN strategy. Or maybe it's just me and others are fine with 10-15 year occupation campaigns?

Military leaders need to know a few simple messages about the economy in my opinion - like these:

- Don't interfere in black markets except arms markets. That's the police's job.

- Don't interrupt the flow of civilian goods, help the population to keep them flowing. Producers need to supply their markets and the demanding people depend on deliveries. Wealth depends on the access to a choice of markets.

- Listen to civilians about their economic problems. You might be able to fix some easily.

- There needs to be a functioning monetary system. It's unimportant whether that's based on national currency, foreign currency, cigarettes, chewing gums or shiny stones. It it works - don't fix it. That's a politician's job if anyone's.

- Impose restrictions (check points, limiting access to settlements with markets, blocking streets, ...) only after taking economic effects into account.

- Take into account that you might crowd out local production if foreigners flood the region with foreign goods (like food, clothes, vehicles, seeds).

And others. It's too late here for smart ideas, good night.