I also think there will be a whole raft of new technologies emerging for getting more oil out of existing deposits. Right now the rule of thumb is that only 20-30% of a given deposit is recoverable, and I think that's going to change. Again, there was little incentive to develop those technologies in the face of a glut and perceived glut that persisted up until a very few years ago, but if the price of oil stays high, that changes the incentives radically. You put a few hundred billion dollars underground, there's going to be some real effort put into getting it out.
No disagreement on the political and financial being the primary long poles in this tent, but I'm not as confident as you are that the technology currently exists, and this is not a financing friendly economy at the moment. However, let's assume energy demands overweigh political and financial issues and that the technology is developed. We still live a world where we have "the rise of the rest", and that means India, China and a lot of other nations will have an increased demand to sustain their growth. Not sure punching a few more soda straws seven or more miles deep into the ocean will meet that demand.

Other issues, if oil prospects for the U.S. look better in our backyard, why would western oil companies invest in places like Nigeria? What impact will that have on their economy and subsequently their security and our security interests?