Thread: How to be the Biggest Tribe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Omarali,

My example is for the tactical world of the company-grade level explaining some of the lessons we learned. Your post was more operational and strategic. That stuff doesn't matter to the guys on the ground trying to find solutions.

My example is only one of many.

Mike

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Omarali,

My example is for the tactical world of the company-grade level explaining some of the lessons we learned. Your post was more operational and strategic. That stuff doesn't matter to the guys on the ground trying to find solutions.

My example is only one of many.

Mike
    I understand, which is why I said "this is at a tangent". I just feel bad that excellent officers and men may end up doing tactically brilliant things in a larger cause that the leadership has already abandoned (in the case of Obama, probably without knowing what he is abandoning; I voted for him and I think he is a good man, but not instinctively a "biggest tribe" badass..maybe that is good. The liberal in me thinks so. But even if its "good", its NOT good to sacrifice good men in a cause you dont really want to push for). I am a near-pacifist who also thinks that peace in that region is unlikely unless the US fights a really good war. I am probably confused. or just realistic.

Default It is not possible to be realistic without being confused.

Beware of those who are not confused; they're unrealistic dreamers, those who think they have all the answers...

Default Sounds kinda definitive...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    Beware of those who are not confused; they're unrealistic dreamers, those who think they have all the answers...
    Yet there are a a shocking number of absolutes in nature.

The speed of light or sound, gravity, relativity, etc, etc, etc. Behind all of the chaos and noise of facts of every unique individual situation there is this tremendous base of unyielding natural law that lends order to the chaos. I'm no scientist, but I have always been amazed by this fact.

The same is true for human interactions as well. Sure, we have the ability to think, react, make decsions; but there is nothing new under the sun and beneath all of our tremendous chaos and independence is a foundation of relatively stable "natural law" if you will, that once understood helps to make sense of the tremendous chaos that is in your face. This is what I see as a strategic level of understanding; a pursuit of the natural laws shaping a particular dynamic, and also any unique dynamics that may also shape things in predictable ways.

IMHO, The role of ideology in insurgency fits into this; as does the dynamics between governance and the governed. Are these absolutes? No, but they provide a very solid start point for understanding any particular situation of the same nature.
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)

Default Absolutes in nature and in science are one thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
    Yet there are a a shocking number of absolutes in nature...Are these absolutes? No, but they provide a very solid start point for understanding any particular situation of the same nature.
    Yep -- no doubt about most of that. However, that doesn't address those who become convinced they've got the solution.

Absolutism in people is another thing. Having a great degree of self confidence is desirable; have a great degree of certitude is less so. The guy with self confidence listens to and learns from others improving his and their lot; the certitudinous don't listen because they already have all the answers (or they listen but discard immediately). They're dangerous. See McNamara, R.; Rumsfeld D. for examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    "This, therefore, is a faded dream of the time when I went down into the dust and noise of the Eastern market-place, and with my brain and muscles, with sweat and constant thinking, made others see my visions coming true. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."

Who, in Afghanistan, are the Dreamers of the Day?
    John Wolfsberger, Jr.

An unruffled person with some useful skills.