Thread: Winning the War in Afghanistan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
    We must have drifted into "everything is negotiable" mode a long time ago, then, because I don't recall any American objections when the British Empire was running probably the largest and most successful opium dealing operation in history.

More recently I seem to recall the US providing money and arms to a bunch of coke dealers in hopes they'd overthrow o government of Nicaragua that we didn't much care for.

When exactly was this mystical time when everything wasn't negotiable?
    Are you for real?

Everyone knows about Perfidious Albion. They did it for Empire.

...at least they never railed on and on about ethics, integrity, honesty, honour, truth, justice, morality etc. etc. while they were swimming at the bottom of the cesspool with the scum of the earth.

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    They did it for Empire.
    They did it for money, like all drug dealers.

But again, when exactly was this mystical period when everything wasn't negotiable?
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary”

H.L. Mencken

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
    They did it for money, like all drug dealers.

But again, when exactly was this mystical period when everything wasn't negotiable?
    No, I'm not following you into a school yard argument.

My point is simple, and that is today everything is negotiable. Specifically the following:

"ethics, integrity, honesty, honour, truth, justice, morality"

This is the state of play today and the who, what, when and where of the past (while maybe interesting to some) does not alter this fact (even if some try to use the past to justify the present )

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

You made specific reference to "when the US drifted into the 'everything is negotiable' mode". That suggests pretty strongly that you think there was a time when some other mode applied. I don't think there was one, and I can't think of any time, anywhere, when any nation has ever tried to build a foreign policy around "ethics, integrity, honesty, honour, truth, justice, morality", negotiable or otherwise.

Why lament the passing of a fantasy that never existed... and why try to attribute today's problems to a drift out of a state we were never in?
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary”

H.L. Mencken

There was a time when the U.S. did not negotiate about things concerning expansion of the Soviet's influence, for example.

Even today not everything is negotiable. To discuss along this extreme idea that everything is negotiable is misleading and fruitless. You better focus on the original theme; the readiness to do business with dictators.

That, btw, was always there - and it should be. There's no reason why a nation should refuse a win-win negotiation with a dictator if it doesn't compromise its own rules.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    There was a time when the U.S. did not negotiate about things concerning expansion of the Soviet's influence, for example.

Even today not everything is negotiable. To discuss along this extreme idea that everything is negotiable is misleading and fruitless. You better focus on the original theme; the readiness to do business with dictators.

That, btw, was always there - and it should be. There's no reason why a nation should refuse a win-win negotiation with a dictator if it doesn't compromise its own rules.
    I suggest you both read me incorrectly. I am talking about a national characteristic rather than a guide to national policy.

That said, I do accept that the latter will generally follow the former.
    Last edited by JMA; 08-08-2011 at 07:53 AM.

Council Member

Default Everything is "negotiable" -

that is, subject to the process of negotiations - but, not everything is agreeable or even acceptable - WRT to the end result of that process.

Regards

Mike
    Last edited by jmm99; 08-08-2011 at 05:20 PM.