Thread: Military Staff

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    leave the Army and Marine Corps due to having been assigned as a Support Platoon Leader or the S4...
    I hate to say it, S4 was a great time for me in combat as far as staff jobs went - think Don Rickles' character in "Kelly's Heroes" (well, not that bad).

Then again, I was working for an absolutely spectacular BN CO and XO, whom I would have been happy working for in any capacity.

S4 CAN be fun.

Just to add context, because of "queues" for command I took command relatively late, spending 3.5 years on staff before command and 8 months after (stop-loss). While it sucked, for those 3.5 years I was a S3A, S4, and S1 at BN and BDE, and an AST Commander in Kosovo. I learned how a BCT worked, and how to get things done. I watched other CO's do well and poorly, learning from their mistakes. When I took command I KNEW how to run a company inside of that BCT, and get what I needed/wanted. If I hadn't have had that staff time I doubt I would have been nearly as effective. So it isn't all bad. In fact, the S4 time paid huge dividends in command as I learned to work the system to get everything we needed. My company never wanted for anything, and I was able to train my XO as well.

I was blessed with serving under good officers during most of my staff time as well, which made it much more bearable. But it isn't all bad.

That said, nothing beats a command position.
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

Default All good stuff. A lot to be said for staff before command...

Quote Originally Posted by Cavguy View Post
    I hate to say it, S4 was a great time for me in combat as far as staff jobs went - think Don Rickles' character in "Kelly's Heroes" (well, not that bad).
    er... worse???
    Then again, I was working for an absolutely spectacular BN CO and XO, whom I would have been happy working for in any capacity.
    That does make a big difference...
    S4 CAN be fun.
    I've known a few who made it that, biggest problem I've seen with the jobs were bad, overenthusiatic Bn / Bde XOs.
    I was blessed with serving under good officers during most of my staff time as well, which made it much more bearable. But it isn't all bad.
    True, I've always found a pony in there somewhere...