Thread: Egypt and the Treaty of Westphalia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
    The wild eyed killers don't even seem to go for the apartheid system of old. Besides, I'm not sure that would fly nowadays.
    That is an excellent point. Is the Leviathan still necessary in some situations?I think the world we Westerner's created offers no in-between. That may be our downfall.
    "I can change almost anything ... but I can't change human nature."

Jon Osterman/Dr. Manhattan
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by TheCurmudgeon View Post
    I think the world we Westerner's created offers no in-between. That may be our downfall.
    Exactly. That is a great point too. Pinochet or Franco were unpleasant, repugnant maybe, but they offered a stepping stone to something that got a lot better. The takfiris won't.

The actions of the Turkish Army over the decades maybe didn't conform to our sensibilities but they seemed to do Turkey good.
    Last edited by carl; 08-16-2013 at 03:18 PM.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Exactly. That is a great point too. Pinochet or Franco were unpleasant, repugnant maybe, but they offered a stepping stone to something that got a lot better.
    Come on. Both were worse than what preceded them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    Come on. Both were worse than what preceded them.
    That is beside the point, which is they provided stepping stones to something much better.

That is beside the point, which is they provided stepping stones to something much better.
    There is little reason to believe that their path was a quicker path to this "something much better" than their predecessors.

Neither Franco's nor Pinochet's assault on the previous government was the lesser evil.

(...)stepping stone to something that got a lot better. The takfiris won't.
    I doubt that the Egyptian MB as a whole can be labelled "takfiris".

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    There is little reason to believe that their path was a quicker path to this "something much better" than their predecessors.

Neither Franco's nor Pinochet's assault on the previous government was the lesser evil. I that the Egyptian MB as a whole can be labelled "takfiris".
    The path taken in Spain and Chile did lead to something better.

As far as takfiri goes, you call 'em like you see 'em, and I'll call 'em like I see 'em.

Default Rumsfeld....Obama Mishandled Egypt!

Council Member

Default Dean & Mikhail on Cairo and Church Burnings

From Lawfare, The Cairo Diary: Scenes from a Bloodbath (by Laura Dean, August 15, 2013):

Laura Dean is a freelance journalist living and working in Egypt and sometimes other parts of the Middle East and North Africa. She grew up in Bahrain and graduated from the University of Chicago. Previously, she worked as an election observer with the Carter Center in Tunisia and Libya and served on the staff of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee in Washington, DC.
    From Revolt on the Nile, Sectarianism (started 14 Aug 2013):

This has been put together as aggregated information that was shared online about attacks on churches and their institutions, Christians and their homes, and other relevant information. We started collecting information on August 14 and not before but are adding anything after.

The list has been compiled and managed by Mai El-Sadany, Amir Beshay, and myself, Amira Mikhail.

Many people have participated in supplying links, information, and tweets. We appreciate their contributions and encourage continued and joint efforts to properly document these attacks.

Please note that this is a work-in-progress and is being updated on a regular basis. Information so far is unverified although most is backed up with tweets and photos. We are hoping to continue the efforts to verify details.
    Egypt is not Germany of the Thirty Years' War, but it is getting sectarian in more ways than one. Deutsche Welle (Live Stream and Video Archive) has been running some good panels on Egypt (e.g., Quadrega), with most panelists being Egyptian or other Middle Easterners.

Regards

Mike