Quote Originally Posted by carl
I am always skeptical of airpower enthusiasts claims. They have been making the same claim for going on a century now. Airpower is decisive but it can't do it all every time, everywhere as they claim.
I don't disagree that.

In the case of the DPRK, airpower wouldn't be needed at all, except in a tactical sense, if Red China played along and shut the border. If that happened North Korea becomes an island with no navy, an island that has no fuel and no food. If you are hard enough and hold the north and south borders, they fall. No sorties needed.
That is why I brought up the fact that China is the Larger System that must be properly influenced in order to have a successful long term solution.

In any event, Kim III has the initiative. We are going to react to what he does, not the other way around. We, including Red China, aren't going to do anything unless in reaction. The key is Red China of course. If the North and South were to go at it the result, or at least the immediacy of the result depends on if they keep the border open and if they logistically support the North. If they isolate the North, airpower isn't needed. If they don't, airpower won't be able to do the job alone.
Sorta agree except US Airpower would most definitely be our US decider along with the South Korean Ground force.

You're right though. I don't see any need at all for for US troops to go north of the border.
Agree it would be a really bad idea.

In any event, the reason I so strongly recommend reading that interview is that the thing that is really important is the world as it exists inside the DPRK. That world is way different in ours, so different I don't see how we can affect it at all in the long run...short of a kill it dead war. That is as sobering a thought as there can be.
I did read the article and I liked it alot, but I am not surprised at all. Little Kim is a gang leader, almost a cult leader(both of which I have dealt with, gangs in particular) so his somewhat strange antics don't surprise me at all. And he is NOT crazy he knows exactly what he is doing! And he is a very dangerous guy. The OLDEST gangs in the world come from the Asian area, they have been at this a long time. I suspect we will see more of this type activity as we do the Asian Pivot or what ever they are calling it now.

The new trinity of War analysis should be should be Race, Religion and Language not the Army, Government and the People.Just my opinion as usual.