Thread: Studies on radicalization & comments

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Nothing you can do?

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    (Taken from and only partial) Has anyone done any work on why people became communists, nazis or fascists? Nothing you can or or say, will stop some kid becoming a suicide bomber - and if you can, then he's not one of the ones to worry about.
    Wilf,

Over the decades lots of academic work has been done on radicalization; I assume in the past this research has reflected contemporary issues and after WW2 the totalitarian temptation. There are some continuities and what appear to be new factors.

Contemporary terrorism or political violence, is assumed to be the end result of radicalization and is best described as "an old wine in a new bottle". It is possible to dissuade and prevent a 'kid becoming a suicide bomber'. There is plenty of evidence to that effect.

There are many unresolved aspects to the preventative aspects of counter-terrorism, not helped when even the experts do not agree on the process, the signs and how to respond (as reflected in other threads).

Just a quick, considered response.
    davidbfpo

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    Tons of work done after WW II, especially on the ability to compartmentalize (this is just an example).
    Maybe nothing you can say or do can stop him or her from becoming one, but it can certainly start them becoming one .
    ....and you will probably never know what that was or when it occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    Over the decades lots of academic work has been done on radicalization; I assume in the past this research has reflected contemporary issues and after WW2 the totalitarian temptation. There are some continuities and what appear to be new factors.
    Contemporary terrorism or political violence, is assumed to be the end result of radicalization and is best described as "an old wine in a new bottle". It is possible to dissuade and prevent a 'kid becoming a suicide bomber'. There is plenty of evidence to that effect.
    Guys, basically what this research is trying to do is ascertain why some people have the political beliefs they do. Essentially why did anyone vote for Tony Blair or George W?
    The "kids" we are supposedly worried about have a political belief and they believe it enough to fight. .... so what?
    Anyone asking which members of the USMC was "radicalised by 911?" Was George W. Bush?

I know why Palestinians and Tamils become suicide bombers. It's all pretty obvious once you get on their value ladder, but I very much doubt the practicality of any work that would be able to make them change their mind. If it were that simple, why do not folks simply do it, because the flow down is "Please accept our occupation of your land peacefully." - THAT IS WHAT YOU WANT THEM TO BELIEVE!
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition