Thread: RFI: Change in pack design features over time?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stay away from the Goruck crap. It's all fad and hype, and for sure not worth the money, despite claims of being military-grade.

I actually have an Ambush, and with that and an ATS RAID pack, I got around Afghanistan just fine for weeks ar a time. The Ambush can carry the load you referenced in your original post, but mighy be overworked if it is a single, dense mass as opposed to several items.

I think a Source Commander might be a better fit for you, though it does have a hip strap of some sort.

ETA: It's an odd thing, pack design and marketing. Most "assault packs" are most certainly not, and a lot of "3-day" bags don't have the features that would suit the mission of such a pack.

I spent a ton of time last year wondering about the business of load carriage, and it wasn't until then that I learned of the true nature of a 3-day load. It's really simple enough, but doctrinally, three days was the maximum planning factor for airborne forces to hold ground before a relief element was expected to reach it, or other forms of resupply were worked out. I cannot pull up the reference at the moment, but the principle does have a foundation in deliberate thought.

The current range of true assault packs (detachable straps, sized to intrgrate with armor, etc.) are only a few years old.

On second thought, you may be better off with an Eagle Yote pack. Quite a few folks I know love them, and they are built almost bombproof. You could sew in a stowable day-glo panel with ease and make you more visible to hunters if you had to. It would give you Ambush versatility and a lot more!

http://kitup.military.com/2011/06/mi...agle-yote.html

SKD Tactical seems to be having a sale on them, at $40 off, making it a great purchase at that price.
    Last edited by jcustis; 07-30-2012 at 09:52 PM.