Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
Really? I think that is a very general statement, and I'm not sure it gets us further down the road, but let's run with it.
I guess that is as specific as I cared to get - I've worked with 7, 8, 9 and 11 man sections on the ground to some extent and have found that it really doesn't make a huge tactical difference.

The Golf Bag sounds good, but it's usually a cop out for "we don't really knows what we do." See my article here. The Golf Bag has to have set limits, or else it degenerates into outfitting GI-Joe for the next game.
Interesting article - Canada has, at least since the adoption of the AR series/Minimi and GPMG in the 80's, maintained alot of those systems (M-72, 60mm mortar). However, we are experiencing some foolishness as a simple, lightweight mortar is being replaced by a heavy, computerized AGL with electronic ammunition (just begging for Murphy to intervene there).

The "Golf Bag" approach is, in my opinion, a sound one. My "HQ Section" has - at any time - 3 to 5 soldiers. In the carrier we keep a mortar, a GPMG (with more in the other cars), a recoilless rifle and - now - a DM rifle.

The sections are pretty much equipped with what they have, but the Platoon has some options. With those soldiers, I can decide if I need indirect or direct suppression, precision fire, or a big-boom at, more or less, 600-800 meters, to support the sections. I guess the strength of the "Golf Bag" is that I have more capabilities than simply "1 x GPMG Team" dictated by a line diagram or having a debate between whether a Platoon Weapons Det should have a 60mm mortar or a second GPMG. It allows the commander to decide.

DGD&D in the UK commissioned a DERA report to support the "Rule of 4" in doctrine and found there is no Rule of 4. It's an opinion based on opinion. It simply does not exist, and there is no evidence it works.
I guess I stuck that one in on the end to plug my view - but I think it works as a general principle. I found that when, for whatever reason, a platoon or company was denuded of that 4th maneuver element that it made things alot harder.

Ideal Platoon? You've got some huge margins in there, for something "ideal."
I'd say 24-30, with 6-8 Officers/NCOs and a very basic weapons set.
I think the "ideal" will remain elusive, and alter given context.
I've found it harder to sustain operations with less than 30 guys as you can't rotate troops off of task to rest. Keep in mind that I also account for our vehicles, which chew up 12 guys in change for a phenomenal capability set.

I guess the thrust of my post was that the ideal isn't something we can pin down to exact numbers. Your ideal platoon has just as wide of arcs as mine (which I am assuming is your purpose). What I was really getting at is I don't think a Platoon with 36 guys is going to be more or less effective than one with 44 guys (same with a Sect of 8 vs a Sect of 12). A well trained and equipped Sect of 8 will kill a Sect of 12 guys lacking in those departments. So I guess if we wanted to discuss the "ideal" Sect, Platoon and Coy we should look at capabilities and how to most effectively set a unit up to manage those capabilities.

Cheers,
Infanteer