Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
IMO it is a matter of how much autonomy is granted subordinate units. If they are trusted to perform, they will -- provided the Bde doesn't go into the overcontrol mode.
I'll agree to an extent - it depends on what the units are doing. If you're doing some sort of pacfication where the Bde gives areas A,B,C,D,E,F and G to its units, then yes it can be easy as the superior HQ is a "caretaker". This could be taken to the unit (bn) level as well. I'm sure you'll agree with me that anyone above the rank of major in a small war has a limited tactical role.

When you start moving pieces together in a smaller battlespace it'll get a bit harder; every subordinate beyond two adds an additonal layer of friction; I guess the question is when does the difficulties outweigh the benefits?

I'll also add my own perspective from peactime management. Training and managing 8000 people is harder than training 4000 people. Unscientifically, I'm willing to bet two Bde Comds with 50-man staffs and 4000 people will accomplish more than 1 Bde Comd with a 100-man staff and 8000 people.