Thread: The Men Who Stare at Goats

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. C View Post
    Reading The Men Who Stare at Goats (2004) by Jon Ronson in anticipation of the film opening November 6, starring George Clooney, Ewan McGregor, Jeff Bridges, and Kevin Spacey. It's supposed to be based on a true story about a reporter's search to learn more about the U.S. Army's First Earth Battalion, SF guys who could stare at goats and walk through walls. I think I'm the first person to post in this thread that I'm reading the book. Anyone else reading it and taking it seriously? Offended by it? Entertained?
    I read the book a couple of years ago. I found it entertaining, but if any part of it is true, God help us.

One thing that I found interesting is that there's a person in there called Mr. B, wh allegedly had all sorts of psychic powers. It's pretty obvious who Mr. B is, so I wonder why he didn't simply use the man's name.

Quote Originally Posted by oblong View Post
    I read the book a couple of years ago. I found it entertaining, but if any part of it is true, God help us.

One thing that I found interesting is that there's a person in there called Mr. B, wh allegedly had all sorts of psychic powers. It's pretty obvious who Mr. B is, so I wonder why he didn't simply use the man's name.
    Not so obvious to me, so who is Mr. B?
    Michele Costanza, Ph.D., CKM/CKEE (Contractor)

Council Member

The information he includes about Mr. B indicates he's talking about a Delta Force member convicted of several rapes in the late 1980s. Again, he never actually names him. But unless there are multiple serial rapists who fit that description, the name is pretty easy to find.
    Last edited by oblong; 11-03-2009 at 02:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oblong View Post
    The information he includes about Mr. B indicates he's talking about a Delta Force member convicted of several rapes in the late 1980s. Again, he never actually names him. But unless there are multiple people who fit that description, the name is pretty easy to find.
    Is there anything left true in this world? I haven't read the book, but I was looking forward to the movie.

Mike

Council Member

I hesitated before posting this because I know the author is controversial among other former Delta members and because, well, the piece is sure to anger people, but it does tell you a little a bit about the man whose biography seems to match some of the details of Ronson's Mr. B.

http://freedomroad.org/content/view/163/69/lang,en/

Ronson never explicitly says who Mr. B is, but he gives enough information to lead those familiar with this case to believe it's the same person.

He also never directly claims that Mr. B can make himself invisible or that the government lets him out of prison to perform secret missions. He simply says soldiers have told him those things.
    Last edited by oblong; 11-03-2009 at 02:45 AM.