Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
It wasn't too long ago when the Balts wanted things like Abrams tanks. We finally got them into your line of thinking. No way to destroy all that armor with just a few Abrams (read limited funds as well). Better to take them out from a distance one at a time with HEAT rounds.

The entire and painful process of PFP to MAP, to NATO should also be addressing territorial defense. All I can recall from this process was tons of paper to justify boondoggles and huge peacekeeping exercises.
I've been to Latvia and have thought about the best way to defend it against Russia. I'm not sure of the terrain in Estonia, but Latvia is very flat. There are some forests, but Russia would probably try to head right down the highway to Riga. The Latvians should have hundreds of local National Guards men or militia's armed with Javelins, Stingers, sniper rifles, and mortars ready to defend these main roads to Riga. They should also have a "Riga" brigade that's only task is to defend Riga. It could concentrate all its efforts on this task. Latvia also needs to consider possible drop-zones outside of Riga suitable for Russian airborne invasion. The Baltic States should also always come to the aid of other Baltic States. But all three of the Balt's should fight the same way: small 6 man teams out in the country-side, along with special trained units that prepare the defenses and fight in the major cities.