SMALL WARS COUNCIL
Go Back   Small Wars Council > Small Wars Participants & Stakeholders > Adversary / Threat

Adversary / Threat One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. Talk about (or with?) them.

Old 07-18-2016   #1
davidbfpo
Council Member

Default The inside Story of the British Suicide Bomber of Ramadi

A superb IMHO article on radicalisation in London, that appeared on Professor Landis blog on Syria, last week:http://www.joshualandis.com/blog/the...y-tam-hussein/

The author's opening summary:
Quote:
This is the back story of Abu Musa al-Britani, a young British suicide bomber who blew himself up in Iraq. He grew up in Ladbroke Grove, the area that I worked and grew up in as a youth worker. We also went to the same school. My essay seeks to answer the question as to why such a popular young man went to Iraq when he had planned a trip to Spain two weeks earlier. What compelled him to go, it also seeks to explain why the like of him and Jihadi John came from the same area. What are the factors that lead to their choices?

It is clear that neither foreign policy nor ideology are solely responsible for motivating European youth to go on Jihad. My essay argues that the reason many of these men went to Syria and join specifically ISIS is due to the subtle interplay between religion, foreign policy and gang culture and modernism.
Curiously his neighbourhood was:
Quote:
a stones throw away from David Cameron’s Notting Hill
Needless to say this thread will be merged one day into the main thread on radicalisation:http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...ead.php?t=7188