SMALL WARS COUNCIL
Go Back   Small Wars Council > The Small Wars Community of Interest > Small Wars Council / Journal

Small Wars Council / Journal Suggestions. Praise. New developments. Complaints. Praise. Tips & Tricks. More praise.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-26-2017   #1
Abu Suleyman
Council Member

Post Transformation of the Discussion of Small Wars

It's been a long while since I was active here, so the nature of the discussion fora may have changed. If this is the wrong area to discuss this, please kick it to the right one, mods.

I was once very active in SWC, and have returned to a position where periodic review of the discussion could be useful, but I am noticing what seems to be a shift in type of posts and a drop off in traffic. Part of the reason for this is undoubtedly the change in warfare. However, there seems to be a relatively robust community on Twitter discussing similar issues, but in what is undoubtedly a worse forum.

My prompts are, therefore, twofold:
  1. Have the changes in the social media environment fundamentally altered the role of groups like SWC?
  2. Has the changes in the nature of fora helped or hurt the study and practice of warfare

To be clear I'm talking about over the last 15 years. Obviously war is different now from when we communicated by telegram/semaphore/horseback. I have some intuitions, and this is my area of study, but because I haven't been as active here as many others, I'd love to know what you think.

Last edited by davidbfpo; 01-27-2017 at 10:33 AM. Reason: 142v till 27th Jan 2017.
Abu Suleyman is offline   Reply With Quote