seen some good studies -- merely was pointing out that studies are like a lot of things; some good, some less so -- and few offer the holy grail.

I read the linked study; not that bad. I agree with their conclusion that in Viet Nam we talked well and did not do exactly what we said we were doing (noting in passing that they apply some revisionist history to Viet Nam ); that much of the US military does prefer HIC (Obviously -- COIN is messy, tedious, expensive and destructive of HIC capability and unit pizazz) and that to adapt to a COIN dominated future, a massive reorientation of thinking would be required. Basically, they got their history and scholarship right. I think.

However, I disagree with them on the ability of the Army to adapt elements of the force and structure training in such a way as to provide full spectrum capability. The Study suggests it probably cannot be done -- like most studies, it offers no firm, planted guidon recommendations and it maintains waffle room.

While I agree that few units can be full spectrum, I'm quite convinced that most can specialize in one mode and if required switch to another with minimal retraining -- and the few that can do (and need to be able to do) the full spectrum bit know who they are and know they can do it.