Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
Sorry, but this fundamentally misrepresents the issue. War is Politics. Col Jones should be very aware of the Politics, and use force in line with a Political objectives. He is told what the policy is, he does not get to decide.
What issue is being misrepresented? This forum isn't a military unit executing policy, it's a place for open discussion of all aspects of small wars, including policy and how it might be adjusted to make our current sort of military engagement, which might reasonably be thought ill advised on many levels, might be avoided in the future.

I've no doubt that when Col Jones and the other serving members of the military that post here put on uniforms and go to work, they execute policy to the best of their ability. If they come here in their spare time, why shouldn't they also discuss policy? A lifetime of executing policies, often less than intelligent ones, surely provides a sufficient background for relevant comment on policy, on a personal if not a professional basis.

As for speaking above the pay grade, there aren't any pay grades here. To the best of my knowledge, nobody's getting paid to post here (if anyone is, please let me know how to get in on that racket). In this place we're not executing or making or influencing policy, we're just a bunch of people talking about matters of mutual interest. I often don't agree with Col Jones, but I see no reason why he should refrain from discussing any subject within the rules of the forum.