Thread: The Russian Military: Declining or Better?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG View Post
    The Russian government has launched a nationwide civil defence training exercise

The problem is - not me, not anyone whom I know never participated or even heard about this "nationvide civil defence training".
    I live in Moscow, I'am a part of acrive workforce, but somehow I missed entire thing - no billboards, no announces, no media coverage - probably it was all top secret, but I give 90% apriori probability it happened only on paper.
    Haeresis est maxima opera maleficarum non credere.

Quote Originally Posted by mirhond View Post
    The problem is - not me, not anyone whom I know never participated or even heard about this "nationvide civil defence training".
    I live in Moscow, I'am a part of acrive workforce, but somehow I missed entire thing - no billboards, no announces, no media coverage - probably it was all top secret, but I give 90% apriori probability it happened only on paper.
    I can attest to this. I have a Russian friend who lives in Siberia and I asked her if this was true. She told me no and even spent some time going through Russian media and couldn't find anything. Unless she's lying to me, which I doubt.

Default Russia’s Military Paper Tiger

A short article from the Jamestown Foundation refers to technical issues with aircraft, a ship (no guesses which one) and tanks:https://jamestown.org/program/russia...y-paper-tiger/

This caught my attention on manpower:
    By October 1, the numbers of kontraktniki, warrant officers and sergeants accounted for 85.3 percent of the set targets, which are scheduled to rise to 100 percent in 2018. This means that, by 2018, the Armed Forces will have 220,000 officers, 50,000 warrant officers, 425,000 kontraktniki and “around 300,000 conscripts.”
    I know the Russians have relied more on officers than NCOs, but this seems rather lop-sided. Are the contractors not allowed to hold officer or NCO rank?
    This means that, by 2018, the Armed Forces will have 220,000 officers, 50,000 warrant officers, 425,000 kontraktniki and “around 300,000 conscripts.” - See more at: https://jamestown.org/program/russia....Nmc9i4v3.dpuf
    davidbfpo