Thread: Insurgent Video Targets Blackwater

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The geo-political dynamics spell trouble...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    IMO, wouldn't make much of a difference. No one can be consistently psychologically effective in a radically different culture.
    Especially with the history of colonization in the region, the history of racism/slavery in Western countries, and the nature of today's globalized liberal market economy...

Question Some of us (namely me )

Quote Originally Posted by bluegreencody View Post
    Especially with the history of colonization in the region, the history of racism/slavery in Western countries, and the nature of today's globalized liberal market economy...
    are a little slow. Could you elaborate on what exactly that means
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur

Smile I'm just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Humphrey View Post
    and I haven't observed these things as being a concern to this posting yet. Maybe these things are so obvious they don't need to be mentioned. It just seems to me that any conversation about how allies (or clients) see the U.S. needs to consider these issues... it is more helpful than just saying that we are arrogant, because it gives context to the situation. I don't think people around the world care if we brag, if we are arrogant, about going to the moon first, or even Mars (I don't know about Venus). The perception of arrogance wasn't created in a vacuum and I don't think it is a monolithic perception of the entire U.S. society.
    Last edited by bluegreencody; 04-25-2008 at 10:33 PM.

Default This is a good example of what I'm thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Humphrey View Post
    Frantz Fanon's "Wretched of the Earth" is a perfect example of what I am talking about. However people feel about his evolutionary theory of violence, I don't think anybody can disagree that it is a powerful example of, what I will call, an insurgent perspective that integrates a particular anti-colonial, non-white view of history.
    BTW, is this suggested or required reading in military training/schools?

Quote Originally Posted by bluegreencody View Post
    Frantz Fanon's "Wretched of the Earth" is a perfect example of what I am talking about. However people feel about his evolutionary theory of violence, I don't think anybody can disagree that it is a powerful example of, what I will call, an insurgent perspective that integrates a particular anti-colonial, non-white view of history.
    BTW, is this suggested or required reading in military training/schools?
    I've been known to quote him. But to put that in context, I just Googled my name "and idiot" and got 5,260 hits (many dealing with an email I wrote to an old Cuban saying that I didn't put Castro near the top of the security threats faced by the United States).