SMALL WARS COUNCIL
Go Back   Small Wars Council > Conflicts -- Current & Future > Other, By Region > South Asia

Old 03-25-2014   #681
davidbfpo
Council Member

Carl asked:
Quote:
Did they ever get the whole story on that attack?
IIRC the official Pakistani report was "leaked" and is within this thread. It was quite damming. Obviously I maybe mistaken.
Old 03-25-2014   #682
ganulv
Council Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl View Post
Did they ever get the whole story on that attack?
I am assuming they did. I am also assuming we never will.
Old 03-25-2014   #683
davidbfpo
Council Member

Default Four Pakistani conspiracy theories that are less fictitious than you'd think

A succinct explanatory comment on WoTR; which ends with:
Quote:
Ultimately, the point here is not to legitimize Pakistani conspiracy theories. Rather, it is to highlight how U.S. policies in Pakistan often strengthen—and validate—anti-American narratives that Washington would much prefer to undercut.
Link:http://warontherocks.com/2014/03/fou...an-youd-think/
Old 03-27-2014   #684
omarali50
Council Member

LOL. I wonder if Mr Kugelman has been picked up by paknationalist psyops yet? His work will be much cited in the days to come. If national security types get credit for citations, this will transform his ratings completely.
I do realize that he means well, but I am not sure what the meaning is supposed to be? what is the lesson here?

Not that it matters. We are about to win a strategic victory (probably with US support as Kerry and company arrange an honorable exit). But as I asked in 2011, what then? What if we win?

http://www.3quarksdaily.com/3quarksd...if-we-win.html
omarali50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #685
ganulv
Council Member

Default The bad guys might make hay, ergo he should remain silent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarali50 View Post
LOL. I wonder if Mr Kugelman has been picked up by paknationalist psyops yet? His work will be much cited in the days to come.
And? If not his, someone else’s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarali50 View Post
I do realize that he means well, but I am not sure what the meaning is supposed to be? what is the lesson here?
One lesson would be to keep things in perspective. Don’t sacrifice big picture, long term success at the altar of the crisis of the moment. Anyone who thinks endangering the closing round of decades of work towards eradication of polio from our planet was worth the risk if it meant getting a DNA sample from OBL (talk about risk aversion; were there not multiple lines of evidence that lead the U.S. Intelligence Community to that compound? why the need to nail it down that tightly?) is ignorant or a moron. But this is a nurse’s son speaking here.
Old 03-27-2014   #686
omarali50
Council Member

On polio I absolutely agree that the CIA should not have added fuel to the anti-polio vax fire, but I would point out that the ban against polio vaccination has been there since 2007, well before poor Dr Afridi and his team of health visitors tried to get DNA. The campaign against polio vaccine started even before the 2007 ban on vaccination in Waziristan. You can read more about the Polio Jihad here: http://www.3quarksdaily.com/3quarksd...lio-jihad.html

I am curious, what do you think was the big picture that was missed in Pakistan?

Again, I would add that I dont think the US did a good job. Far from it. I now think the US was not culturally or institutionally capable of obtaining a really good outcome in the region and would have done much better to stay out. Long distance punishment of hostile governments, support to their enemies and carrots to buy them out would have been cheaper and at least as effective, probably far more so. But the US public wanted a war after 9-11 so there was a war. By now the blood lust has settled, so the whole exercise is looking pointless.
But I dont think the mistakes were the ones Kugelman thinks were mistakes. (To be fair, I am not sure what he thinks. I dont think he has spelled out his "lessons learned" in that article).
omarali50 is offline   Reply With Quote