Thread: The Military Contractor Hiring Process

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
    Unfortunately, that keyword system doesn't really simplify things all that much. The keywords just select a bunch of resumes. Those resumes must still be reviewed and applicants interviewed. If anything, the keyword thing makes it more difficult.
    Say you had candidates of interest that you would prefer to see in the job. Say they got a hold of the keyword list, prior to submitting resumes. Now things are a lot easier.
    He cloaked himself in a veil of impenetrable terminology.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevely View Post
    Say you had candidates of interest that you would prefer to see in the job. Say they got a hold of the keyword list, prior to submitting resumes. Now things are a lot easier.
    Nah, the best tactic is to actually sit down with the person writing the actual requirements before they are written up. The best one I ever saw was a Government of Canada position for a website administrator where one of the "required" skills was an extensive knowledge of Baroque music (the site had nothing to do with music). I was tempted to apply just for the fun of it .
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stevely View Post
    They already have the keyword list. I know guys who took courses for their functional area and had instructors from the courses give them keyword lists to include in their resumes should they choose to move into the civilian side of the force. And it still doesn't make it easier, because the algorithm or the lottery machine - whatever is used - does not choose the 1 "perfect" resume. It chooses a bunch that are reasonable matches. You still need to have people dig through the 25 or so resumes.

When I was taught how to write a resume, I was told to make it concise, readable, and within a page or two. These resumes violate all of those rules.

Default Anyone that cannot look at a halfway decent job description

or hiring announcement and not pick out the keywords probably doesn't deserve the job...

What used to be a one page resume has morphed into a multi page C.V. -- to the detriment of both, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
    When I was taught how to write a resume, I was told to make it concise, readable, and within a page or two. These resumes violate all of those rules.
    Concur. Resumes for USG jobs are ridiculous. I believe the process would be well served by limiitng all applicants to two pages max, although anyone who understands brevity should be able to highlight their important qualifications within one page.
    "Law cannot limit what physics makes possible." Humanitarian Apsects of Airpower (papers of Frederick L. Anderson, Hoover Institution, Stanford University)