It was a mere compromise in 94 when the UN was purportedly in charge. It took some fancy footwork to keep that going.

Not even the Western powers could come to terms all the while the Zairois were stealing everything that was not bolted down.

Goma is a place that cannot be explained on paper. One has to experience it first hand before it remotely becomes clear.

Carl, Goma gives me nightmares to this day !

Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
Nothing would surprise me. If the UN still holds the airport, I suspect it is because M23 (Rwanda) allows them to keep it. I was talking to a friend of mine and we figured that it would not be at all implausible if those UN attack helos didn't go anywhere because of a deal. 'You allow us to stay here and we won't strafe you and shoot rockets at you anymore even though we were doing that this morning.' 'Ok. Fine with us and also you don't see all those airplanes coming in and going out nor do you check their cargoes.' 'Ok. Fine with us.'

The Goma airport by the way is something else. The north end of the runway is (or was when I last saw it) a wall of lava I think about 30' high. That's it. That's the over run area. And they run commercial jets in and out of there.

I never like Goma much. It was always cloudy with a volcano smoking or glowing to the north. It's like a place where God feels a need to constantly remind you who the real boss is.